7mm rum 145gr LRX for deer

valleysnyper

Hi guys, my son would like to use my 7mm rum with Barnes 145gr LRX. First of all, I know he doesn't need a rum, granted it is overkill. He will use gor our upcoming elk hunt and wants to get used to it
Any have exp with this bullet at high velocity ? As always shots could vary from 50 to about 350 yds

morning, I use the Barnes LRX and TTSX bullets, 145gr. in my 7mm Wbee.
I shoot everything with this bullet. hogs in TX. r the toughest of the animals
I shoot. never had a problem with performance. I shoot rocks at 400 yrds.
this is a very accurate bullet. I very much like the performance and accuracy
of barnes bullets. I shoot them 223,22-250AI,6mmAI, 257wbee, 7mmwbee, 308
and 340wbee.

TUM

Thanks for the reply, what fo you recommend for shot placement ? I have read that they can just pencil through at close range if not hitting bone. I'm afraid if he tries a shoulder shot it might be devastating on the offside shoulder and blow the thing off

I used to use the .257 100 TTSX in my .25-06AI @ 3650fps. Devastating on game. My personal longest shot was only 488 yards on a big bodied mule deer. Deer was quartering on hard. Bullet entered at neck to shoulder junction (think collarbone), travelled through the body and exited off side hip. Deer just stood there for about 3 seconds, then straight over backwards without a kick. Inside were liquefied.

My 14 year old daughter just took her muley last year at 637 yards. 6.5mm 127 LRX @ 3050fps MV. Not screaming fast, but deer hit the dirt like he was struck by lightning. Shot was a high shoulder, broke the onside shoulder, shattered a vertebrae, exited offside shoulder. I plan to load the same bullet up for my 6.5 SS and hope to get 3250+ with it.

Last edited:
I have used TTSX and TSX bullets for many years and have never had one pencil through. That would be the least of my worries with the tipped TSX or the LRX.

I have also never had any problems with massive meat loss or damage with these bullets at short range with shoulder shots or any bone strikes.

I used the 145 LRX in my 7 mm SAUM this year for antelope. I am getting 3200 fps with a custom load. First antelope was shot at 330 yards. Antelope fell dead immediately on bullet impact. Second antelope was at 533 yards and never took a step. I am thoroughly impressed with this bullet.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.