7mm RM loads

ar4000

Just looking for a bit of help...I have a Win M70 in 7mm Rem Mag that shoot 168 Bergers very well when seated to just off the lands. The problem is that the rounds are too long for the magazine at this COL and I don't want a single shot while hunting. I have tried seating to fit the mag but accuracy has suffered. I have been using RL22 and Retumbo, 215Match, and all the typical case prep. I am thinking I may try different bullets but was not sure what brand. Has anyone had good luck with a particular bullet seated well off the lands? Thanks.

175 sierra game king. .050 off the lands in my Rem 7mag gave me real good results using IMR4831. Clovered leaf 3 rounds at 100

Better go buy a Rem 700 7mm mag :D Just kidding.
, My rem700 can take bullets longer than my lands anyway though. Mine shot rl22 best close to the land like you, but it shoots h1000 amazingly well and i'm about .1 or more off the lands...might be worth trying a couple different powders...i've had success with h4831sc farther from the lands as well. These are all with the 168 berger as well...i love that bullet.

One to try might be the 162 Amax, i'm not sure how much shorter it is, but it is a little shorter and has an amazing BC as well. I really like the 150 sierra hpbt match, but i haven't hunted with it, I know it's not intended for hunting but i haven't researched how they perform on deer or elk, you know guys have tried it haha.

Just looking for a bit of help...I have a Win M70 in 7mm Rem Mag that shoot 168 Bergers very well when seated to just off the lands. The problem is that the rounds are too long for the magazine at this COL and I don't want a single shot while hunting. I have tried seating to fit the mag but accuracy has suffered. I have been using RL22 and Retumbo, 215Match, and all the typical case prep. I am thinking I may try different bullets but was not sure what brand. Has anyone had good luck with a particular bullet seated well off the lands? Thanks.

My OAL is 3.336 using 168 VLD's, in both of my Remingtons. The box is longer on Remys. My son has a Winchester 70' and shoots the same OAL , and it fits in the mag. In my remy, it is .040 off of the riflings. His gun likes the Bergers, but loved the 162 A- Max. My load is 67.5 - H1000 - 168 VLD @ 3.336 , and using WLR primers. You really don't need mag primers in a seven mag, or a 300 win mag for that matter. Hope this helps.

My rem 700 shoots 140gr Ballistic Tips and/or Ballistic Silvertips, with 66grs IMR 4350 with CCI 250mag Primers!! It is a stock rifle that was bedded & floated in a remington plastic stock. Thumbnail groups at 100yds and still less than 1moa at 300yds..

Really kinda new at this posting stuff, but if it will help,168 Berger,71grH-1000,CCI250 mag primer,Winchester brass. Dime size groups at 100yrds,still .5 at 200yrds. 160 Sierra's 70grn H1000 same everything else, same groups. Hope this helps.

Thanks DT

I've got the same problem with a Ruger 7Mag only with 162 grain Amaxes.Another problem I have is I dont want to shoot the 162 grain Amax inside of 300 yards.
Lucky for me the 160 grain Partition will shoot to same point of aim to 400 yards. Sure I have to carry two different rounds but it aint hard to tell them apart. I load the mag with the Partitions and put in an Amax in if the rangefinder tells me its past 3-400 yards.
You may be sureprized to find the Partitions dont fly all that bad???

I can't say one bad thing about a partiton. I've shot them before and have had great
results! Might just work some up anyway, now that you have me thinking about it. My
old model 700 rem(1968)really shot them very well. Thank's for the thought!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.