7mm Rem Mag

Developed a new load with the 180 Berger Hybrids. First time testing this load out at long range and got some pretty good grouping, actually the best group I've ever shot that far. However, something still isn't right. When putting in all of my data into my shooter app, I came up with a come up solution of 19.9 moa. I dialed up 20 moa and left 0.5 moa to account for spin drift. I was shooting straight south and there was a 1-2mph wind out of the south/southwest, but the first 450 yards of my shot had the wind blocked by a corn field. When I shot the first three shots I only heard one hit metal. Luckily, one of the shots managed to hit my target stand on the leg. I was about 16 inches low and 10 inches right. I dialed up to 22 moa and left to 1.5 moa. The next three shots were this group, still low and still right, but on target and a good group with very little vertical. The only thing I can think of is that maybe the distance I was shooting at was actually farther than what I thought it was. I do not currently have a rangefinder good enough to range that far (hopefully by the end of next week that problem will be solved) so I wheeled off the distance with a distance wheel. The terrain is completely flat, but maybe that wheel isn't 100% accurate? The velocity was tested with a magneto speed, so I'm going to assume that it is correct. My other thoughts are, if the range is right, maybe my weatherhawk gave me the wrong barometric pressure???? I'm pretty sure the altitude was correct within 100 ft. My only thoughts on the windage are the wind was actually worse at 20' than it was at point blank, but I could be wrong. I guess I need to recheck the actual distance when I get a good rangefinder. It certainly has me puzzled though. Load is 65.0 gr of H1000, 180 Hybrid, Norma Brass, WLR primer. Any thoughts and comments are welcomelightbulb.

Attachments

• 865yards.jpg
    865yards.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 99
Here's my pride and joy

Also recently picked up a Flatline Ops level, but haven't got it installed yet.

Thanks! Nonneman custom rifles in nw Missouri put it together. Ring height is 1". NF calls them medium, but they are the lowest 34mm ultralight rings they make.i

you don't live that far away. do you want me to fix that x-mark trigger for you.

i drop mine to about 1.75 lbs with lots of polishing and new springs.

Developed a new load with the 180 Berger Hybrids. First time testing this load out at long range and got some pretty good. Load is 65.0 gr of H1000, 180 Hybrid, Norma Brass, WLR primer. Any thoughts and comments are welcomelightbulb.

you could have gotten a bad range from your rangefinder. i put in a new battery now at every long range excursion.

also, you shot south, so you should be about 3" right with coriolis. there is no reason but air pressure that i can see for you to be low... except a bad range from your rangefinder. you'll see the drop even if it's 30 yards further.

What velocity did your chrono say? 65gr is a pretty light charge. My guess from my 7mm is that you are lower than 2800fps. I used 68-69 gr of h1000 for 2950-3000fps out of a 26" barrel.

Hey thanks for the replies. I got the level installed and swapped the x mark for a Jewell set on 1lbs.lbs. I'm guessing my range was off because I used a measuring wheel, but I'm not sure. As far add coriolis, i forgot all about that....whoops. With 65.0 grs my average velocity was 2,826. I guess I could try to push it faster, but the load shoots so good I'd really hate to mess with it. Out of curiosity, how far is not too far Punisher? Sorry for any grammar errors, replying on a cell phone and can't catch them all.

Hey mark I just built a 600,850 and 1100 yard range ..come over one evening before I start harvest and we will mess with it . And I'm with ShawnB about the load, I'm doing 65.2 gr. H1000 with 168gr VLD at 26" it just a hair over 3000 fps but like I said bring her over some time. A bunch of us has been shooting there all summer and I set a range record with the 6 dasher at 600 yards..have to come a beat it!:D

Attachments

• 20140812_203658.jpg
    20140812_203658.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 101
Hey thanks for the replies. I got the level installed and swapped the x mark for a Jewell set on 1lbs.lbs. I'm guessing my range was off because I used a measuring wheel, but I'm not sure. As far add coriolis, i forgot all about that....whoops. With 65.0 grs my average velocity was 2,826. I guess I could try to push it faster, but the load shoots so good I'd really hate to mess with it. Out of curiosity, how far is not too far Punisher? Sorry for any grammar errors, replying on a cell phone and can't catch them all.

Nice. I lived on Barry Road for a couple years, but now I'm back around home. About an hour north of Savannah.

you must shoot on private land. i had a heck of a time finding a place to stretch my legs around here.

a farmer down the road from me owns a whole section and lets me shoot there when there are no cows, but a good public range with a bench, i have not found!

Yes sir. We farm, so there are plenty of places to shoot, it just depends on the time of year. The problem right now is the corn and soybeans. The cattle are also a problem for a lot of long range stuff right now too.

Yes sir. We farm, so there are plenty of places to shoot, it just depends on the time of year. The problem right now is the corn and soybeans. The cattle are also a problem for a lot of long range stuff right now too.

the way my place is set up, i could get to 750 yards if i cut down a whole crap load of trees, but i'm not going through that just for a shooting lane. my cows and horses live in those trees all winter and spring so they don't tear up the pasture.

How do you like the stock? Im thinking about putting one on mine for a new build.

As far as the stock itself goes I really like it. It is very solid and has a wide barrel channel that you could put a fairly heavy contour barrel in. I've since added a Triad Tactical stock pack that gives me a better cheek wield for my higher rings. I like going this route over the adjustable because it weighs less and gives me a place to store shells and drop charts. I'd certainly buy another McMillan, just probably in a different array of colors:). Hindsight I wish I would have went with the olive and coyote haha. As far as function though, no complaints here.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.