7mm Rem Mag Weathery Vanguard Load Updates

300rum

Hi,

Finally I was able to come back with this post after more then 3 weeks. Last minute Customers keeps me from going out... But today I did it...
So... short review...
I got a factory Weatherby Vanguard on 7mm Rem Magnum rifle, and I start developing the load for 168 VLD.
Here are the specs:
7mm Rem Mag Weatherby (factory barell)
Hawky 6-20x42 Mildot scope 30mil tube
Leupold tactical rings
168 VLD
70.5gr - H1000
CCI250M - primer
Rem Brass
0.015 in land
3025fps

This rifle likes berger to be seated in land
see the photo.
0.015 in land. First shot cold barel was low to left and the I put 3 more round in the same hole at 100yrd.
I could not believe my eyes how well this rifle shots.
168vld0015inland.jpg

Here is anothre target with the 168vld 0.010 in land. As you see the same story first cold bore shot left and low and then 3 round in less the 0.25 MOA at 100yrds
168vld0010inland.jpg

All I did with this factory rifle was to adjust the trigger at 1.5lb and free floated the barel.
I already placed a order for a brand new stock with aluminum bedding in Varmint SUB-MOA style.
The one what is now is the Injected Molded plastic and is peace of s**t.

What do you think guys is the reason for first fly round.
If I have to shoot 20 rounds after the rifle was sitting all day in case, no cleaning at all and fired first round all the time is down and left, and after the rest are grouping up and right.
Do you think is the cheap molded plastic stock, and the recoil from the first shot changed the POI?

Any input will be welcome.

PS. Here are some high country pictures where I hunt..
IMAGE_111.jpg

and my 338edge with the tactical vest harness what I carry with me in the field. (it is very well balanced and is not bouncing around)
IMAGE_119.jpg

Last edited:
Nice groups!
It is very possible that the barrel pressure point in the forend is causing the shots to go high as the barrel warms up. But it doesn't seem like one shot would heat the barrel up that much. Is it a clean or fouled barrel on the first shot. It could be you need a fouler to settle things in.

Or maybe you are warmed up after the first shot!

Try shooting a cold bore shot, then waiting for it to cool and then shooting another, etc.
I'd be curious as to the group of cold bore shots that you would get.

Of course you would have to bring another rifle or you will get very bored waiting for the barrel to cool.

Nice groups!
It is very possible that the barrel pressure point in the forend is causing the shots to go high as the barrel warms up. But it doesn't seem like one shot would heat the barrel up that much. Is it a clean or fouled barrel on the first shot. It could be you need a fouler to settle things in.

I suspect this one too, and I just finished to bedding the stock. I hope this bedding will solve the problem of first shot flyer.
I will head out to range saturday to do more tests.

Try shooting a cold bore shot, then waiting for it to cool and then shooting another, etc.
I'd be curious as to the group of cold bore shots that you would get.
The barel is a factory sporter, but this should be fine for the 3 shots before heating up.

I will post more updates after this weekend.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.