7mm Rem Mag hunting load

Catdogs4

I recently bought a Ruger M77 mark ll 7mm rem mag. I know very little about reloading and long range shooting. I'm sure there is probably already a lot of info on here regarding hunting loads for the 7mm. But I'm having a trouble using the search engine finding what I'm after. I will be hunting game sizing from wolves, deer and elk and trying to make a load to fit the bill. I'm looking for something that will have good knock down power and stability out to 800-900 yards. Sorry about this being long winded:)
I'm thinking either Nosler 160gr accubonds or Hornady 162gr Amax, with either retumbo or h1000. Any other suggestions?

I have had excellent results with Berger 180 vlds and h1000. Im seating .015 off the lands with a 65 grain charge in Rem. Sendero. .750 groups at 300 so far. This site has been very helpful, alot of knowledge on here. Sierra 160 gamekings shot ok at 100 but fell off at range. Same with 175 Sierra's, they work well in my other guns though.

Last edited:
The 160grain bullets will perform nicely for you out to 900 yards. Still, I would look at the various 180grain bullets (like the Berger hybrid). They are excellent bullets with superior BCs so they perform better in the wind.

I was leaning toward the 160 gr just to keep it more of an all around load. I've always heard good things about Berger bullets the only thing keeping me away is that there a little pricey.

Give this load a try...Shoots like fire out of my older 90's Ruger 77 MKII stainless/synthetic (skeleton stock). Was shooting a tight cloverloaf @ 100 yards out of mine.

Nosler 160 Accubond
60.0 Reloder 19
Fed 215 primer
Winchester Nickle brass
C.O.L. = SAAMI Spec - 3.290"

I recently bought a Ruger M77 mark ll 7mm rem mag. I know very little about reloading and long range shooting. I'm sure there is probably already a lot of info on here regarding hunting loads for the 7mm. But I'm having a trouble using the search engine finding what I'm after. I will be hunting game sizing from wolves, deer and elk and trying to make a load to fit the bill. I'm looking for something that will have good knock down power and stability out to 800-900 yards. Sorry about this being long winded:)
I'm thinking either Nosler 160gr accubonds or Hornady 162gr Amax, with either retumbo or h1000. Any other suggestions?

Do not use the a-max! bullet is too soft for anything larger than deer

I was leaning toward the 160 gr just to keep it more of an all around load. I've always heard good things about Berger bullets the only thing keeping me away is that there a little pricey.
Most all Bergers come in 100rd boxes, while just about everybody else sells theirs per 50 count. The Accubonds are $27 for 50, and the Bergers are $40-55 per 100 box....So if you think about it, it's really about the same amount of money.

I shoot the bergers in my other rifles, but not in the Ruger 77's because they tend to like bullets seated at SAAMI specs and VLD's like to be closer to the lands with a little jump, and the Rugers don't have a really long magazine box to allow for that, unless you shoot it as a single-shot.

Do not use the a-max! bullet is too soft for anything larger than deer
I have tried and tried to warn my buddy with the .300 WinMag about them, but he is hell-bent on shooting whitetails with the 178's this years...Whatever man, but you won't be shooting no deer on my property with them. You can use anything else you want, but NOT SST's or A-MAX's for deer on my land...I don't want a bunch of wounded or maimed whitetails hobbling around.

I have tried and tried to warn my buddy with the .300 WinMag about them, but he is hell-bent on shooting whitetails with the 178's this years...Whatever man, but you won't be shooting no deer on my property with them. You can use anything else you want, but NOT SST's or A-MAX's for deer on my land...I don't want a bunch of wounded or maimed whitetails hobbling around.

I agree! I have tried them but never will i do that again! i swapped to nosler partitions but now i trying some berger vld's

After seeing what the Berger 7mm 180 Hybrid Target bullets do to wet phonebooks, I believe I will be using them for hunting this year...

Last edited by a moderator:
Catdogs4

New from Barnes and Nosler are LR (Long Range) versions of their premium hunting bullets. The Barnes TTSX is available in 7mm and Nosler started producing their AccuBonds with very high BC's in 7mm. Loading data I have not found but if you contact them both companies are pretty good with customer support. Don't look at the cost of bullets. The gas (or Diesel) you put in the truck to get there costs more.

The Partitions do not have as high a BC as most SpBT bullets. They are designed to hold together up close when driven fast yet open at more normal distances. Nosler developed the Accubonds to replace the Partitions for most shooting. Nosler lists the lower expansion limit as 1800fps.

Be aware that Accubonds are usually around $30 for a box of 50, and Bergers are $45 for a box of 100.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.