7mm Practical

I spoke with Dave Kiff about getting a 7mm reamer that I can feed through a 3.6" mag and asked him what has been getting good results with
He told me the 7-300win mag AIwith .220 freebore.
I know it is in the same family as those discussed , but I felt compelled to try it.
I have a ton of 300 win brass so I figured why not.
I just got it built and will see what the results are.
I hope to fireform some brass this week.
Is it necessary to go through all of the trouble fireforming and getting custom dies? --no.
Is it something fun to try ==sure!
Will it be way too much work to do what I could do easier? Probably.
But I am a tinkerer.

The 7mm Sin though really gets my interest.
Devin-why didn't you mention it sooner.

as a 7 fan, the more i read the more i like about the 7LRM. keep it coming with these informative postings. i'll talk my self into a new rifle yet?!gun)

shot a 2" group at 1306yds. with 195gr.berger bullets ,it uses less powder kicks less and in my experience is as as deadly with less powder .over 15guns tested and they all are tack drivers and just as hard hitting as the big boys.

shot a 2" group at 1306yds. with 195gr.berger bullets ,it uses less powder kicks less and in my experience is as as deadly with less powder .over 15guns tested and they all are tack drivers and just as hard hitting as the big boys.

Impressive. What barrel length are you running and what kind of velocity from that 195.

I'm having a practical built but with a 40 degrees shoulder and plan to shoot the 195's and or 180 VLD's.

Honestly, I plugged in the numbers today with the 180 running 100 fps faster then the 195 and I really couldn't see any performance difference including drift to amount to much. It seems to me that much like an overbore round, going beyond the supper slick 180 vld may be a point of diminishing return...

Thoughts....?

I'd go with a standard 7MM Rem Mag or a .280 Rem.

I'm not sure if the 7MM STW is still manufactured. It might be. I do now that it ain't gonna do much more, if anything, that a 7MM Rem Mag can't do. And a .280 Rem will do everything that a 7MM Rem Mag will do.

I think that most of the once rage of hunters, the short magnums, are all moribund except for maybe 2, and they aren't any better than the .270 Win or the .300 Win Mag. And the reality is the .300 Win Mag ain't gonna kill any deader than an '06 or .308 Win provided bullets form either destroy life sustaining equipment.

The biggest concern with wildcat or esoteric cartridges is that they usually don't stick around long which makes it hard to find loading stuff for them.

As far as I know, the 7MM Rem Mag is still the best selling magnum in America. There's a reason for that. It will work as advertised. If you hand load, you'll probably achieve velocities far beyond factory loads. And you can get 'em with very convenient 24" barreled rifles.

BTW, I can easily get 3200 FPS with 150 grain bullets, 3100 FPS with 175 gain bullets, and 3000 FPS with 175 grain bullets. The slowest power I use is RL-22 & the fastest is IMR 4350.

With 160 grain bullets, start with H-4831. Work up until groups shrink or you see signs of pressure. I use H-4831 with 160 grain Partitions. This load will one-shot-kill the biggest elk that has ever roamed the Rockies. If I tried, I know that I could get 3200 FPS with H-4831...OUT OF A 24" BARREL. But an extra 100 FPS ain't gonna matter. Accuracy does matter.

The up side is that talking cartridges is a whole lot of fun. And there will always be hunting dudes who'll endeavor to build a better mouse trap, which is good because mice need trapping, and production designs leading to better mouse traps are often transferred to building better other things.

I like all cartridges. Some I like more than others. And I can tell you that I like cartridges for which I'll always be able to find loading components.

Some cartridges will be around forever: .243 Win, .30-30 Win, 6.5 Swede, .270 Win, 7X57, .308 Win, .30'06 Springfield, 7MM Rem Mag, .300 Win Mag, .338 Win Mag, & .45/70 Gov't. They've stuck around because they work as advertised. You'll always be able for find loading stuff for these cartridges. Other cartridges that haven't stuck around are much more difficult to buy components for them.

From what I understand, our Norther brethren still use the .303 British, which is one our most underrated cartridges, probably due to its rim. I've read that it's still popular in Africa where it has killed everything, just like the 7x57. I've also read that the .303 British is one of our most inherently accurate cartridges.

What I think is the best cartridge created, the .280 Rem, should be up there with the stick around forever cartridges. But Remington screwed up its marketing. There's magic in .284 caliber bullets. Now the reality is the .280 Rem ain't got a thing on the .270 Win except when we throw in the legendary 175 grain .284 bullet. That bullet will penetrate giant Sequoias and kill big game a hundred yards on the far side of it. Then reality puts its nose under the big game killing tent. Except for killing elephants, North American hunters don't need that kind of penetration.

I'm a traditional hunter. I know that ain't got skills to kill big game much beyond 400 yards at Rocky Mountain altitude, and that would be a perfect condition shot. Hence, I like rifles with 22" barrels. The longest I'm good with is 24". And I like light, fast handling rifles.

The 7-300 Win has better brass available than the 7LRM. The 180 Berger hybrid's node is around 3165fps. The STW may push a 180 faster than the 7-300 but the accuracy node is not really going to change so you are just wasting powder. The 7-300 will allow the bullet to be seated where it should be in a standard long action magazine like a 700. The STW will have the bullet seated pretty deep into the case. The 7-300 is formed by running a 300 win mag case through a busing die and loading just like any other cartridge so prep is minimal. It is nice having so many options available but If you want a fast 7mm the 7-300 is about as good as it gets in my opinion. This is a long range hunting forum so its obvious I think we didn't come here looking for Grandpa's 30-06. The STW and the 7-300 will blow the 7mm Rem Mag away and the 280 is not even in the ball park. If you want a great performing cartridge with out the price of bushing dies go with a 7mm Rem Mag or the STW. If you want more performance and are willing to pay for bushing dies the 7-300 is worth it for the increase in performance over the Rem Mag and the efficiency over the STW. The 28 Nosler is another great option but I would not want to buy the brass. In my opinion the practical is not worth the effort for fire forming. Barrel life is already too short.

I hope so too. I did not see when the thread was started when I posted. I just saw it towards the top. I am sure the information can help someone else. :D

Hey guys, I've stumbled across some info on this wildcat and was wondering if anyone has any real world experience with it? Its a 300 win mad necked to 7mm with a 30 degree shoulder. Looks very intriguing to me. I've been in the mindset to build another 7mm.
Anyone heard of it? Good-bad? From what I've read looks perfect for 168s-180s and not as 'boring' (dare I say) as the 7mm RM.
Thanks guys!
I like mine I have shot chucks at over 960yds. It is very accurate and has made one shot kills on elk and bear.

To RonnieMillsurp ,

Below is an attachment describing the development of the 7mm Practical .I hope that you are able to open it and read about the cartridge .

I was intrigued by the Practical , but I chose the 7mm-.300WM , for my rifle build , throated long enough for the Hornady 180gr. ELD-M , and also the Berger 195gr. EOL , although I prefer the 180gr bullets at over 3100 FPS out of my 28" barrel .

DMP25-06
It's funny how everyone here talks as if they know what the hell a 7mm Practical is, assuming it's literally just the 7mm-300.

Attachments

• 7mm Practical.pdf
    3.8 MB · Views: 107