7mm National Match AMAX

rickiesrevenge

Anyone here hunt with the old school aluminum tipped amax? I've got a few boxes of them and they're shooting pretty good in my 7mm Dakota. Better than any of the other bullets I've tried.

Aaron

Seems like I've heard those mentioned before along time ago. Never shot any. Got any pictures of them.

195 berger, 183 sierra, 162 NM AMAX, 162 amax

CN5EZTf.jpg

I have been shooting them for years, and currently have a few thousand of them. Hornady only made one lot of them as the predecessor to the A Max. I've shot them in everything from a 7 SAUM up to a 7 RUM. Terminal performance is nothing less that incredible on deer size game out to about 1K.
I'm currently using a .711 BC as per data acquired when I shot them through a Ohler 43 ballistic lab.

I've noticed that all the boxes I have gotten from a few sources have the same lot number. What would you say the minimum impact velocity should be? I'm launching them out of a 17" XP-100 in 7mm Dakota so I won't have nearly the speed that a rifle would

Does the atip open as well?
Some one who has actually taken some game with them will probably come along here soon. I have shot them at targets only. The feedback on their terminal performance is all over the place. But thats the same for alot of bullets people hunt with. I've saw stellar feedback on some hunting bullets that I've taken game with and will never use again. I'm going to try them for myself on game and make up my own mind.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts