wondering about 7mm amax on antelope

In 2011 my friend and I shot coues wt with my 7 rem mag using the 162 A-max muzzle velocity was 2975 fps. Distances were both around 400 yds. Both were hit with high shoulder shots. Both bullets exited with 1 1/2" dia holes. Deer dropped to the shot. I was impressed with the performance.

------------------

Here are some excerpts that I saved with other hunter's experiences with the 162 A-max:

"I shot a 250# ++ boar at 300 yards with a 7mm-08 and the 162 gr amax running at about 2600 fps
That is a target bullet and it blew through that hog like a freight train. Left a 2" exit hole."
---------------------
"My buddy and I have shot 6 bull elk, all 5+ year old bulls (all but one over 400 yards). Several cow elk, a huge bison, Tsessebe, Kudu, countless trophy mule, coues and white tail deer out to 650 yards. We have yet to find a bullet, but haven't looked through the pudding inside much either on the bigger animals. On deer and elk they nearly always exit with a 1"-2" exit holes. It hasn't mattered if we have taken frontal shots, steep quartering shots, shoulder shots or lung shots. They go right down. The shock wave going through the animal is something to behold on camera or in the spotting scope"
------------------
From LRH:
"A buddy of mine shoots the AMAX and has killed two bulls one 320 the other 380 both past 500 yard killed with AMAX 7mm both on video and didn't take long to die. Plus a good number of deer"
------------------
"My buddy took his 7mm Sendero to Africa a couple of years ago. He went with another hunter that gave him all his animals to shoot, because he only wanted a leopard. He shot some 35 odd critters with the 7mm mag. His PH told him to bring a .30 of some sort, because 7mm mags cripple a lot of critters. The PH was a typical guide and not a hunter. He didn't understand bullets at all. Most hunters bring 140 grain soft points and they just don't hold up and seldom exit, so he blamed the cartridge, not the bullets. My buddy cut loose with the 162 grain A maxes and only had to track one animal, because he gut shot it. It still did the job. Wildebeast, Tsesebee, Zebra and everything in between just crumpled. He hit a couple with the 160 grain Trophy bonded as well. They performed awesome and I recommended these to him. The PH was THRILLED with the 7mm after his safari. Funny how people change their attitudes like that. He sure had a great trip and got 10 animals that scored in the SCI books, including a 57" kudu. I hate him.."
------------------------
"My buddy isn't a great shot, yet crunched a 380 bull last year with the 162's. He hit it at 538 yards quartering towards him, right in front of the pelvic. He didn't allow for a stout wind. The bullet obliterated the pelvic and exited.

He wacked a 350 bull the year before at 580 through both shoulders and it exited. The 312 bull the year before was 380 yards through both shoulders and exited. I have watched him shoot all kinds of elk, buffalo and other big critters. Never a problem and they exit most of the time. Even if they don't exit, they leave such a massive wound channel, that they just fold up.

I haven't personally shot any critters with the Amax's, but sitting next to him on countless kills has me convinced they WORK!. "
------------------
"I shot many 162gr A-Max bullets from my 7STW @ 3,150 ft/sec. Terminal performance on whitetails was fantastic at any range. High shoulder shots or traditional hits behind the foreleg were both instant death. However, shoulder shots literally dropped them on their noses."
-------------------------------
A friend used the 162 A-max in his 7 Rem Mag to shoot two coues wt in Mexico and was very pleased with the results. One was a 4 x 4 the other a huge typical 3 x 3.

As you can read others have had excellent results with the 162 A-max. If your rifle shoots them use them with confidence.

In 2011 my friend and I shot coues wt with my 7 rem mag using the 162 A-max muzzle velocity was 2975 fps. Distances were both around 400 yds. Both were hit with high shoulder shots. Both bullets exited with 1 1/2" dia holes. Deer dropped to the shot. I was impressed with the performance.

------------------

Here are some excerpts that I saved with other hunter's experiences with the 162 A-max:

"I shot a 250# ++ boar at 300 yards with a 7mm-08 and the 162 gr amax running at about 2600 fps
That is a target bullet and it blew through that hog like a freight train. Left a 2" exit hole."
---------------------
"My buddy and I have shot 6 bull elk, all 5+ year old bulls (all but one over 400 yards). Several cow elk, a huge bison, Tsessebe, Kudu, countless trophy mule, coues and white tail deer out to 650 yards. We have yet to find a bullet, but haven't looked through the pudding inside much either on the bigger animals. On deer and elk they nearly always exit with a 1"-2" exit holes. It hasn't mattered if we have taken frontal shots, steep quartering shots, shoulder shots or lung shots. They go right down. The shock wave going through the animal is something to behold on camera or in the spotting scope"
------------------
From LRH:
"A buddy of mine shoots the AMAX and has killed two bulls one 320 the other 380 both past 500 yard killed with AMAX 7mm both on video and didn't take long to die. Plus a good number of deer"
------------------
"My buddy took his 7mm Sendero to Africa a couple of years ago. He went with another hunter that gave him all his animals to shoot, because he only wanted a leopard. He shot some 35 odd critters with the 7mm mag. His PH told him to bring a .30 of some sort, because 7mm mags cripple a lot of critters. The PH was a typical guide and not a hunter. He didn't understand bullets at all. Most hunters bring 140 grain soft points and they just don't hold up and seldom exit, so he blamed the cartridge, not the bullets. My buddy cut loose with the 162 grain A maxes and only had to track one animal, because he gut shot it. It still did the job. Wildebeast, Tsesebee, Zebra and everything in between just crumpled. He hit a couple with the 160 grain Trophy bonded as well. They performed awesome and I recommended these to him. The PH was THRILLED with the 7mm after his safari. Funny how people change their attitudes like that. He sure had a great trip and got 10 animals that scored in the SCI books, including a 57" kudu. I hate him.."
------------------------
"My buddy isn't a great shot, yet crunched a 380 bull last year with the 162's. He hit it at 538 yards quartering towards him, right in front of the pelvic. He didn't allow for a stout wind. The bullet obliterated the pelvic and exited.

He wacked a 350 bull the year before at 580 through both shoulders and it exited. The 312 bull the year before was 380 yards through both shoulders and exited. I have watched him shoot all kinds of elk, buffalo and other big critters. Never a problem and they exit most of the time. Even if they don't exit, they leave such a massive wound channel, that they just fold up.

I haven't personally shot any critters with the Amax's, but sitting next to him on countless kills has me convinced they WORK!. "
------------------
"I shot many 162gr A-Max bullets from my 7STW @ 3,150 ft/sec. Terminal performance on whitetails was fantastic at any range. High shoulder shots or traditional hits behind the foreleg were both instant death. However, shoulder shots literally dropped them on their noses."
-------------------------------
A friend used the 162 A-max in his 7 Rem Mag to shoot two coues wt in Mexico and was very pleased with the results. One was a 4 x 4 the other a huge typical 3 x 3.

As you can read others have had excellent results with the 162 A-max. If your rifle shoots them use them with confidence.

Thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.