7MM mag reloading pet loads (thoughts)

Vol1975

Looking for some general pet loads for the 7mm rem Mag

Background shooting a gun that has 1:9 twist with a 26 inch barrel (Bartlein)

My plan: is to have 3 good load with real low SD and then take and start shooting at a much farther distance. out to 700 yards or so. so far I have 2 good load at a starting point for my research but am looking for another on or so. only shot at 200 yards.

further background- all cases have been neck turned, weight within 1% of each other and overall length is within .003 of each other.

So my two load I have so far is as follows

H4831SC 162 ELD-x with CCI primers at 65 grains. shooting around 3125 FPS. SD is around 10 (will shoot about any bullet dang good)

R19 with 168gr Accubond with CCI primers at 64 grains. shooting around 3000 FPS. SD is around 7 (very impressed with this so far)

so looking at possible H1000, R22, H4350. more towards 1000H, h4350 but have not had good luck with it in Past h1000 on Accuracy. Looking for bullets weight between 160 to 175 grain.
any thought and load would be appreciated. as always would work up to the load and if anybody uses mine I would suggest the same.

my goto deer hunting, 150grn ETIP-67.0grn IMR7828-ccimag primer seated 30 thou off the lands no crimp. Nosler suggests 50 thou off the lands but, my rifle likes 30 (3100fps). I have also 1 shot dropped a moose just over 200yrds split its heart in 2 it was a trough and through.

plinking, 150 to 154 grn sps 65grn IMR7828 & mag primer seating depth verries from bullet to bullet...........I have never had any luck with 162 & 165 grn pills but, good results with 175 grn sp. 58.5grn RL22 cci mag primer.... Speer 145 grn spbt, 67.0grn IMR7828 win std primer 35thou off lands.

I have a load for 150 grn sp,,,45.0grn to 47.0 grn IMR3031 standard primer it is quite accuate & low recoil. 2 down sides 1, it was never designed for large cases and 2, because of that it burns hot. By that I mean it heats up the barrel a lot and I only use it as a last resort

As you can see I use a lot of IMR7828, my rifle performs consitanty good with it and around here it is easy to get, it also performs very good with RL,22 and 25 but, RL powders are a nightmare to find here.

If you wish to try any of these loads remember it is your responsibility to verify these loads and to work up as they are so close to max listings.

m, we've worked up loads for five 7mmRM's and all shoot the 168 Berger VLD with H1000 and 215M primers very accurately. A sixth was a little picky and liked Retumbo and Remington 9 1/2 primers best. Since no two barrels normally won't shoot the same exact load with equal accuracy, the charges varied. We did trim all cases to <.001 of equal length and annealed. Tumbled in wet stainless media so all were like new inside and out except for being sized. Start low and work up for safety. I've personally seen this bullet take muleys and elk from 60-400+ yds. Had to track one muley due to poor shot placement by brother in law who is quite visually impaired. Found it 1/4 mile away dead due to massive internal bleeding. I don't own a 7Mag, but they shoot great, flat and are deadly accurate. Good luck

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.