7mm/338 Lapua IMP ?

steeltraps

Thinking about re-barrelling my 338 Lapua Rem 700 MLR . Its has about 1100 rds on it and is starting to open up. I have a 338 Lapua IMP , SO im thinking about 7mm/338 imp . Any info on this would be great! Is 3400 fps possible with 180 bergers OR will they blow up? How fast can the NEW 195 Berger be pushed? I will use a 30 inch Bartlein, blank i already have. Best place to get a 7mm/338 Lapua imp= Zero free bore reamer from? Thanks in advance

I looked at it. But I would prefer to do all the work myself. Less of course having the barrell fit to action. JGS can have me a reamer in about 4 weeks . I already have barrel blank. Just wondering about getting dies for it? Can I use 7mm Allen Mag reloading data as a starting point to work up loads?

The reference to the Allen Mag was to answer your question on the ballistics capability with a 180 gr. bullet. The ability to use 7mm Allen Mag reloading data depends largely on your case capacity and design. If it is close to the Allen Mag case, then yes, you could lean on that data.

Whidden Gunworks can build you some custom dies. Just supply them with a complete drawing of the cartridge (should be supplied with the reamer).

John Whidden from Georgia? Man I forgot all about him!! I have some of his bullet pointing dies! Thanks for reminding me that he could make me a bushing die! OK next question? Does any one know what the = Load neck diameter is for the 7mm Allen Mag or 7mm/338 Lapua IMP? My quess would be around .322 or so? So if anyone know what the loaded neck of it is with a 180 Berger , i would be extremely greatfull!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.