7mm & 243 Win: Picking a powder

CleanShot

Hello

Many of you helped me get through the hump of picking a press so now I'm in to picking a powder (and primer). The two rounds I'll be reloading are 7RM and 243W. The powders I'm looking at are H1000, H4832sc, Retumbo, and RL22. The powders don't need to work for both cartridges but sure would be nice. Availability is the elephant in the room for this discussion.

I found Retumbo and H4832 (not SC) at one vendor. But H1000 is near impossible to find. This is the only vendor that has two of the powders I'm interested in so I can make shipping more economical. However those aren't the ones I had high hopes on. I thought the H4832SC and H1000 would be my winners.

So questions are
1) in this environment does one just pick up what you find or wait?
2) am I looking at the right powders?
3) how do I match my primer to these?

Thanks
Sam

1. If you want to shoot you use what you can find.

2. All listed work in both .

3. 7 Rem Mag = mag primer, 243 = large rifle primer

I use IMR7828 in both and I have used R22 and IMR4350.

Ramshot magnum works well in the 7 mag.
It's not very temp sensitive either. Barnes bullets did a test in the 300 win mag and it was a bit less temp sensitive than H1000

I suggest deciding what bullets, their weight, and application (hunting or target) you want. Then try to match a powder. Most times the powder selection depends on the bullet weight you intend to use.

If I were going to pick a generic powder for a 7RM and .243, I would pick RL22. It is usually more available than the Hodgdon powders. Hodgdon powders tend to have, in my opinion, a somewhat undeserved holy grail reputation. I have found them to sometimes be incredibly inconsistent from lot to lot. It can happen with IMR and Alliant powders too. But, don't be fooled into thinking Hodgden powders a made by gods, they are not.

I suggest deciding what bullets, their weight, and application (hunting or target) you want. Then try to match a powder. Most times the powder selection depends on the bullet weight you intend to use.

If I were going to pick a generic powder for a 7RM and .243, I would pick RL22. It is usually more available than the Hodgdon powders. Hodgdon powders tend to have, in my opinion, a somewhat undeserved holy grail reputation. I have found them to sometimes be incredibly inconsistent from lot to lot. It can happen with IMR and Alliant powders too. But, don't be fooled into thinking Hodgden powders a made by gods, they are not.

I think I want to shoot Barnes TTSX 150gr bullets from the 7RM. I'm less certain about what I want to use in the 243. However does it make sense to shoot a buller like a TTSX at the range when practicing or do folks usually shoot something cheaper and just try to keep groups not necessarily on the bullseye?

As of now most of my shooting will be for hunting or practicing to hunt. I'm open to other bullet options but frankly I'm somewhat paranoid about lead in my meat.

Well I been eaten lead in game for 55 years and when my wife says I'm stupid, I have something to blame it on. Ate a lot of PCBs in fish too before they figured it was bad for you. So, I can understand your concerns. :)

Lucky for you the Barns bullets can shoot very well. Are they target grade bullets? No. They are also not cheap. So, what to do? I would get that 243 working good first. It is cheaper and easier on the shoulder. I would suggest RL22 and the Hornady 105 AMax. The AMax usually works well in a slower twist barrel than a Berger 105.

Then get the 7mag working with RL22 and the 150 TSX. Barns lists RL22 as their midrange powder for the 7mag, so it might work well. Use the 7mag for hunting with the 150 TSX bullets. Get it shooting straight and then don't fck with it. Don't shoot the barrel out trying to learn to long range shoot. ( I care not to explain how I know this). You would be good for everything from NJ deer and bears to Colorado elk.

Neither of these rifles are know for long barrel life though. Have we talked about this before? So, a non-max load of RL22 and the 105 AMax could extend the barrel life of you .243 quite a bit.

Quite honestly my fear of lead is mostly for the sake of my daughter but I'm glad at least someone on a hunting forum doesn't think I'm crazy for worrying about it. Most responses I get are more along the lines of "I've been eating lead for years and I'm fine".

I have a factory Savage barrel on both rifles so I believe the twist on the 243 is a slow 1:9.25. I'll try the AMax out and see how they go. What's kept me away from RL22 has been reports of it being temperature sensitive and largely varying from lot to lot. That's what got me looking into the Hodgdon extreme powders. If I practice in NJ in the summer and hunt in NY in the winter we can easily be talking 80-90 degree temperature differences.

As far as barrel longevity, I just found out that the 243 has a poor barrel life about two weeks ago and this is the first I heard the 7RM does too. I picked them because they are relatively flat shooting, are considered fairly light recoil for the job, and factory ammo can usually be found for them in an average shop. But honestly I'm new to firearms so what do I know really. I'm not sure what would have been better choices to cover most North American game at long distance without extraordinary amounts of recoil and yet have long barrel life. For now I will have to live with my choices and research a better cartridge for future purchases.

I would run H1000 in both with the 7 getting a 162 Amax and the .243 getting a 105 Amax igniting the powder with, if you can find them Tula LRM primers. just mu .02.

I would run H1000 in both with the 7 getting a 162 Amax and the .243 getting a 105 Amax igniting the powder with, if you can find them Tula LRM primers. just mu .02.

A-Max is lead. As I've been saying while I'm not anti-lead, for me I'd prefer a copper bullet for anything I'm consuming.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.