Pick a Powder

I used to have a rifle that unconditionally left those swiped and even ejector marks on anything you fed it. Meant nothing. Like you said, primers look fine, bolt not stiff, no bolt shards stickIng out of your head….🤣
Well, almost happened with this load...47gr LeverEvolution: Broke both ejectors. (SOLUS has dual ejectors) Replaced them with some stuff I found around the shop. 🤪 o_O

LVR High Pressure.jpg

Last edited:
H100V Wins out. Low shot was "Don't screw up this group" 🤪
View attachment 437749

Red Arrow shows ejectors riding brass. Does this just chambering a round. Still rounded edged primers!
View attachment 437750
Primers look fine. With the Winchester primers if you were overpressure you would know it because they seem to have softer cups. As a side note the only primers I have ever pierced or blew out were Winchesters using exactly the same powder charges, bullets, and cases with the primers being the only load change.

Primers look fine. With the Winchester primers if you were overpressure you would know it because they seem to have softer cups. As a side note the only primers I have ever pierced or blew out were Winchesters using exactly the same powder charges, bullets, and cases with the primers being the only load change.
I've popped fed215s a couple times

I'd also like to add, in 25yrs of hand loading this was my first catastrophic failure. I'm glad the catastrophe stayed with the equipment! (I'll classify breaking parts on a gun catastrophic)

Weird things happening with this AI business...

I'd also like to add, in 25yrs of hand loading this was my first catastrophic failure. I'm glad the catastrophe stayed with the equipment! (I'll classify breaking parts on a gun catastrophic)

Weird things happening with this AI business...
Me too, I have personally never seen ejector marks that bad on anything I've done. I'm glad you're OK.

Me too, I have personally never seen ejector marks that bad on anything I've done. I'm glad you're OK.
Thanks buddy! The positive out of this is that SOLUS action is a safe action! I could only imagine what the gas would have felt like on something that vents it back into the shooters face!

Edited: The rest of the LeverEvolution powder got put out for lawn fertilizer. It's a spikey powder.

Last edited:
Thanks buddy! The positive out of this is that SOLUS action is a safe action! I could only imagine what the gas would have felt like on something that vents it back into the shooters face!

Edited: The rest of the LeverEvolution powder got put out for lawn fertilizer. It's a spikey powder.
Good to know. I just bought 2 pounds of it 😅🤪

Ok late to party but I would be trying IMR4166 even though prob extinct. The case fill is really nice with 80gr Sierra plus good velocity for charge ratio to case fill. The load provides some extra potential to case fill for the 88. If you have the throat freebore you can adjust the bullet jump seating out to gain case capacity to accommodate a mono like Hammer. I sometimes adjust the Hammers out to gain the PDR pressure reduction advantage through extra case capacity watching pressure.

AC3D84E1-B069-45E9-9BC1-12C472F2524C.jpeg