7mm, 195 Berger or 197 SMK

Kroberts

Now that they're both available. I want to switch over to one of these two in my 284. But I'm not sure of exactly which one. This will be purely for target shooting out to about 1 mile with most shots between 1000-1200 yards. I can't find a G7 BC for the SMK, but I'm assuming it's a bit higher than the Berger. Due to pointed and slightly heavier. I'm leaning towards the SMk, what do you all think?

Thanks,
Kyle

I think I would try both and use the one with better accuracy, velocity and measured drop. You are getting on the outside edge of normality with that combo, there may be a big difference for no discernible reason.

I think I'll try both for the reasons you suggested. Yup, if i remember correctly my barrel has a 7" twist. Which is the tightest pac-nor does with there 5 groove barrels.

Kyle

If I remember correctly the SMK has a 27 caliper ogive. That's longer than the Berger and in fact longer than any other 7 mm bullet I've ever seen. Plus the SMK is pointed. That should give the SMK a decided, or at least some advantage in BC.

But both are high BC and how they shoot would be more important to me.

I am close to rebarreling a rifle in 7-300.I would also like thoughts on twist rates for the new sierra 197. I'm going to set back and listen to suggestions as I,m in no hurry. I may go 28 nosler,i might stick to 7mm-300 like currently have,or may go straight 7 mag as I have good results with it with 195s. What's your thought on this.

I am close to rebarreling a rifle in 7-300.I would also like thoughts on twist rates for the new sierra 197. I'm going to set back and listen to suggestions as I,m in no hurry. I may go 28 nosler,i might stick to 7mm-300 like currently have,or may go straight 7 mag as I have good results with it with 195s. What's your thought on this.

Almost my exact thoughts too. I'd love to hear more on these bullets in the heavy 7 category of bullets

I am normally a MAKE IT BIGGER kinda guy.
I have never owned a magnum that wasn't the largest available.
Recently I bought a 7SAUM because I got a steal on the barrel, it pushes 175 ELD-X at 3050-3150.
That stays supersonic to 1 mile.
IDK if its worth some of the compromises needed to launch these super long pills. Maybe for an ELR steel gun but for a hunting rig? IDK
I'm not sure if running the 180 class stuff faster doesn't make more sense for the majority of us than dealing with the issues a super long pill brings. Especially when 64gr of H1000 will get you to 1 mile.

For me it's not so much about going for a longer super sonic range or flatter trajectory. So much as that at a mile the 195s have less wind drift. If I used the correct celocity I should be able to get, then they should have 10-15% less wind drift, more if I can push them a bit faster than I expect to get. I'm expecting about 2650 fps. But who knows until I try it.

Kyle

For me it's not so much about going for a longer super sonic range or flatter trajectory. So much as that at a mile the 195s have less wind drift. If I used the correct celocity I should be able to get, then they should have 10-15% less wind drift, more if I can push them a bit faster than I expect to get. I'm expecting about 2650 fps. But who knows until I try it.

Kyle
I dig that 100%. I'm just beginning to think we may not be able to drive the 195 class stuff fast enough without getting really crazy to match what the 180 class stuff will do. A 180 7mm is pretty long, 195+ is really long.
Yeah a 195 MAY give you 10% less wind at 1 mile but the 180 will likely outclass it in 43 other areas on the way to a 1 mile wind drift advantage.
Not saying I have ran all the #s enough to be certain but we are definitely nearing the point of mixed returns in the 195 class area.
I need to try some in my SAUM and see what it will drive them to. It will drive the 175s at 3150. If it will shove a 195 at 2900 it MAY make sense. The current crop of 180 class stuff is just so well balanced its tough to beat without some compromise.
I like the idea of the extra weight on game also, I guess the way the 175ELD-X is shooting has got me thinking about balance and less about hassle.

I've had plenty of time to play with numbers. Up until near a mile the the 180s have the advantage. At 1000 yards there is several Moa difference in drop and only somewhere around 1/2 MOA drift difference in a 10 mph wind, if that much. If I didn't play at 1 mile as frequently as I can and want to try keeping up with a buddies 338 edge I wouldn't worry about it. But with the 180s at a mile each time I would have a distinctive water line of only a couple inches of verticle but about 3' of horizontal. Which was only about 2-2.5 mph shift in wind. Atleast that's in the sub magnum sized cartridge.

Kyle

Todd,you guys make good points and I have thought that as well.The only thing I will add is those 195s were dang accurate out of my guns,not that the 180 wasn't,and Hit like Thor's hammer. Can't go wrong with either,have a good one

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.