7mm-08 ultimate youth elk cartridge?

Good Luck finding a 145 gr Barnes Bullet for your 6.5. You can find a bullet of 140-145 gr but it won't hold together like a Barnes when encountering heavy bone. You are certainly free to believe diameter has nothing to do with KO power. Many will disagree with you, including every African Game expert, Bear Guides, Elk Hunters, etc.

You are putting words in my mouth - for the purpose of this discussion the 7mm08 vs the 260, yeah - its immaterial. Would I take either one to africa or alaska? No. I have better options. I don't shoot monos and probably never will as long as I live in a state that doesn't require it. I dabbled with them a few times and was unimpressed. I can see why a larger diameter bullet would be important to you if that is the bullet construction you prefer. I personally haven't had a problem busting through bone with accubonds, bergers, or eldms(Amax).

Does a 180 out of a 300 wm kill better than a 180 out of a 7mm RM? Its the same comparison with bigger cartridges.

Last edited:
I think you have that backwards - the extra 150 fps from the 7mm will be overcome by the higher bc of the 6.5. At 300 yards neither the shooter nor the elk will notice the difference.

No, I don't. Take a look at the two ballistic tables. It's not until 600 yards that the 6.5 over takes over the 7mm-08. At that point the velocity and energy of both are far below ethical ranges. My premise is based on the 300 yard range described by the OP.

At 300 yards, the 7mm-08 is carrying almost a 100 ft/lbs more energy and has almost 100 fps on the 6.5 CM. Stretch it to 400 and the 7mm-08 is still on top. Switch the comparison to monolithics bullets and the 7mm-08 open up an even wider gap since the heaviest .264 monolithic is 127 grains.

Attachments

• 504FB0AF-9714-4A39-881F-187AA1F31840.jpeg
    504FB0AF-9714-4A39-881F-187AA1F31840.jpeg
    208.9 KB · Views: 183
  • 6D6CD698-C2E1-432A-8CB0-4F50F6372B54.jpeg
    6D6CD698-C2E1-432A-8CB0-4F50F6372B54.jpeg
    208.6 KB · Views: 204
No, I don't. Take a look at the two ballistic tables. It's not until 600 yards that the 6.5 over takes over the 7mm-08. At that point the velocity and energy of both are far below ethical ranges. My premise is based on the 300 yard range described by the OP.

At 300 yards, the 7mm-08 is carrying almost a 100 ft/lbs more energy and has almost 100 fps on the 6.5 CM. Stretch it to 400 and the 7mm-08 is still on top. Switch the comparison to monolithics bullets and the 7mm-08 open up an even wider gap since the heaviest .264 monolithic is 127 grains.

I am not a fan of the creedmoor - use a 260 Rem in your comparison! Lol

I have 5 kids, the oldest just got her license and got her first deer last fall. This year, Elk is on the menu for her.
Now I'm a gun nut, and I have several great elk rifles but none that a young kid can handle comfortably. Being as she is the first of 5 and I assume all of them will at least try hunting, I figure any money spent on the ideal youth hunting rifle will be a good investment. For our uses I expect this rig to be used primarily on Elk and Mule deer at moderate ranges generally under 200 yards and no more than 300 yards.
My criteria is that the rifle have a short length of pull, light enough for a young kid to carry, enough power to kill elk reliably without heavy recoil (remember it's a light rifle), and a MPBR of near 300 yards just to keep things simple.
It seems to me that a compact 7mm-08 would fit the bill about perfect. Are there better options out there? Any experience with the 7-08 on elk good or bad?

This is a cow I nabbed on a late season extra tag this January.View attachment 126697
try a tikka t3 ln 7mm stw or 7mm o8 elk are tough and weve had to track several animals that fast bullets in the 140 range went right through !

Pick a Tikka lite in 7 mm rem mag and shoot the eldx 162g or 168 g Berger. Load down for practice. Buy a lead sled for practice. Teach shooting fundamentals. Never let the scope pop them in the eye. It will be a rifle that can grow with them! My 16 year old started shooting his at 11 and is proficient to 600 yes. Next choice is a 7mm-08. Not in a youth model though! You got it....another Tikka lite.

Pick a Tikka lite in 7 mm rem mag and shoot the eldx 162g or 168 g Berger. Load down for practice. Buy a lead sled for practice. Teach shooting fundamentals. Never let the scope pop them in the eye. It will be a rifle that can grow with them! My 16 year old started shooting his at 11 and is proficient to 600 yes. Next choice is a 7mm-08. Not in a youth model though! You got it....another Tikka lite.
. Started hunting with a 30-30 then moved up to a 30/06. Got all grown up and hunted everything with magnums. I must be growing down now cause most of my hunting is done with non-magnums now!

Regardless of Caliber, looking into getting a Suppressor specifically designed for hunting such as the Silencerco Harvester. My buddy has a Ruger American Predator 308 with the 18 barrel that he switched his daughter to after one year with the 243. The concussion and recoil on the 243 was giving her issues, but once she shot the suppressed 308 she had no recoil issues and was able to use a more appropriate round for Elk.

I shoot my Creedmoor with a Harvester and the recoil reduction is truly amazing. My kids are too young to hunt, but they have been with me the last three years for Antelope and another benefit is not having to worry about their hearing or lack of hearing directions if they have ear plugs in.

I'm late to the party, but would like to add the 308 to the list. You can shoot the 130 ttsx now and load it heavier as they get older. Frontal area plays an important role in tissue damage. I have no issue with the 7.08. Just think the versatility of the 308 is greater.
I know a 175 Berger out of a 308 is nasty on elk out to 400.

No, I don't. Take a look at the two ballistic tables. It's not until 600 yards that the 6.5 over takes over the 7mm-08. At that point the velocity and energy of both are far below *Rule 1 Violation*al ranges. My premise is based on the 300 yard range described by the OP.

You can get 2,800 with a 140 in the 6.5 creedmoor. So the velocity comparison is moot.

The 6.5 has a seriously strong reputation as an elk harvester, particularly in Northern Europe.

Further, one can go to 100 - 120 grain all-copper expanding bullets that will further reduce recoil -- an important consideration in building good shooting habits for young shooters. (Also curing bad habits in us older shooters crazed with heavy, large caliber magnumitis -- been there, done that!)

For a youth elk cartridge, the Creedmoor is truly hard to beat, especially for the reloader.

For a cartridge that will work well on all North American game within a few hundred yards, the 6.5 Grendel is excellent. Recoil is in the .243 class, and will harvest elk within the range where bullets expand reliably.

And you can get 150 grain bullets to 2800 in the 7mm-08, and 140s to 2950. Therefore, no it is not moot.
Do we really want to inflict .308 Winchester-class recoil on a youth shooter?

The best strategy for a youth thinking about elk is to use a caliber and cartridge combination that has the lightest bullets capable of reliably harvesting elk-size game.

That suggests Creedmoor-size cartridges in 6.5 and and .25 caliber. Yes, the venerable .257 Roberts comes to mind.

If your hunting anything else smaller than elk I would opt for a 6.5 creed because I think it's more versatile, kicks less, more rifle options, and ammo is more widely available. The 7-08 is a fine choice though. If the gun were staying with your daughter as she grows I might opt for the 7-08, 308 or maybe even a 30-06 or the like. They could be loaded down in velocity with light bullets and increased as she grows into it.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.