7mm-08 ultimate youth elk cartridge?

The PRC will work too. I witnessed a guy take a raghorn last year at 885yards with factory 147g and it went less than 20 yards. Of course he was very experienced and knew his rifle well and had practiced out to 1200.

I like the versatility of the 7-08. however High BC bullets favor the Creed in lighter weights, and less recoil, I'd go Creed these days. Seems to be more accurate factory ammo available. And it's the hot item of the day. Might as well let her be "cool" for awhile.

No one has said it yet so I'll put it out there: .243 Win with 100gr Nosler Partitions
All kids handle recoil differently. The .243 in a 7.5lb rifle will kick less than everything mentioned so far. And the 100gr Partition will kill elk. (No Texas Heart Shots please!)

2nd best recommendation I saw was the .257 Roberts which is also a great killer with low recoil.

3rd best recommendation I've read, since you started with the thought of the 7mm-08, was to go that route but use the "Reduced Recoil" Hornady loads.

If you reload yourself, you can probably pick whatever cartridge trips your trigger and load it to a degree your daughter can tolerate.

Another suggestion? Make sure the length of pull is short enough. I kept 'resisting' cutting guns down to fit my son perfectly because he would 'grow into them.' That was stupid. When I finally did what I should have done from the beginning, he shot better, the gun was more comfortable, and he was HAPPY. Shorter is better as you can put a thicker recoil pad on OR add a 'slip-on' limbsaver over the pad already on the gun to really cut down the recoil. Buying a longer stock later in life is easy to do as they grow.

In closing, I think you are a great Dad for looking to take your daughter elk hunting and trying to pick out the perfect gun for her to use. Nice job!

Look at " full size" rifles with shorter length of pull-- I've seen some "non-youth/non-compact" rifles with 13" lop--barrels in the 20-22" are nice balance

You can find "reduced recoil" 7-08 and 308 factory rounds

Threaded would be a nice option so a brake can be added if needed

You can't go wrong,IMO, with the 7mm/08. Loaded with the Barnes 145 LRX to appx 2900 ft/sec will do most any job. I've had 2 since the mid 80's. Just love them.

I have 5 kids, the oldest just got her license and got her first deer last fall. <SNIPPED STUFF>
Just curious - what did your daughter use to harvest her deer with? Would it be 'enough' for elk? Maybe just stick with that for now. Obviously it fits her well enough and she was able to shoot it accurately enough.

not quite 1/3 more like 20% when comparing a couple of loads. But not anything you would load for elk. At least not what i can find published
A few years back purchased a Ruger American in 7-08 as back up deer gun and youth rifle for grandson.
Loaded up 150 gr Nosler Partitions and got reasonable accuracy with that rifle. Granson took a large cow elk at 243 yds. Head on brisket shot pased between both lungs, missed spine and heart. Virtually DRT. Tested this load by shooting into water-filled 1 gal milk jugs and got well over 30 inch pen. Note that recoil will depend on rifle wt. Ruger American is pretty light but grandson was ok with recoil. Same grandson took an antelope @ 330 yd w/6.5 cm (Bergara B15). Horn 143 ELDX passed thru both shoulder blades, DRT. No experience with 6.5 CM on elk. Hope this helps

A little Winchester compact classic model 70 in a 7mm08 with 140 grn Barnes has killed a lot of youth tag cow elk in our extended family. Before that a Remington 722 257 Roberts with 117 grn Sierra's was the kids gun. Both are great kids rounds for deer and elk if bullets go where they need to.

As suggested by other posters - within the ranges you've specified - any of these calibres, old, modern or the latest marketing hype will do the job.
On another forum, have read of Himalayan Tahr (very tough critters), being DRT with 140gn bullets at a measured 523 yds, with a 7-08, in the Southern Alps of New Zealand.
The kid will let you know what he/she likes (forgot the gender this far through the replies :(), if they can test fire everything suggested, then you'll get a response.
Pity my grandkids are 5,500 kilometres away from me in Western Australia - the eldest granddaughter (a real tomboy girl), would really love to have a go with Poppa's guns.

All four of my daughters and my youngest son started out shooting many rounds of 22lr. I then worked them into a 243 and on into a 7-08. The girls all took elk with the 7-08 using 120 Barnes TTS and 139 gr. SST's. They combined have taken over 20 whitetail bucks and a Muley buck with the 7-08 and a couple with my wife's 308. If you work them into it slowly and use small for Cal. Bullets like the Barnes, accubond, or Partition with a slightly reduced load they will love it and shine. We have a 6.5x284 now and my youngest son (13) has shot it with 140 gr. Bergers for the past 3 years. It is his favorite rifle along with my 270 wsm. He shoots them both out to 1300 yards and loves them. The creed would be just as good in my opinion. Just start with the low recoil guns and work them into the larger cal's slow and have fun.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.