77 grain smk for whitetail

I've used 223 for deer for many years. My preferred bullet is the Hornady 55GMX I see less copper fouling with these than with the Barnes. A bonus to the 55 GMX is the 55 vmax with the same load in most of my guns will have the same POI. I used the Barnes for years in the 45gr and 53gr. I tried the 70gr Barnes but the venerable 223 unless loaded at book max may not push them fast enough to reliably open. I would not choose to use the 77smk they are not intended for use on large game and don't hold together. Years ago I used lead core hunting bullets in 223 and they where effective but once the copper bullets became readily avialable I made the switch and have never regretted it. I still have a few of the 45gr Barnes bullets six I think and one gun sighted in to use them. My 13 year old shot a 8 point whitetail this year with that gun. He hit a little lower than I would of liked but he hit the large front leg bone just below the shoulder blade shattering it then the bullet passed thru the edge of the hart then hit the same bone on the other side shattering it also. I recovered the bullet it was just under the hide on the far side, it had after hitting that much heavy bone lost all its petals. I have many other calibers at my disposal but I choose to use 223 most of the time. I think the most important thing is to have an accurate gun and enough practice with and confidence in your equipment that the bullet is going where you want it to. If I where in a situation where I routinely had opertunity to shoot game at over 100 yards then 223 would not be my first choice.

Most hunters in my area when using the .223 for hunting use run of the mill 55gr PSP's from mini 14's. We have no issue harvesting Caribou with them. I have taken my share of caribou with my AR's. Northern Caribou make most deer look like babies. It's about shot placement. If you can't make a headshot or back of the neck shot at 150 yards then wait for a better shot. I personally do not shoot any further then that with this caliber, like most others in my area.

We shot deer down in TX with 223's with the PSP and I think the (its been a long time ago) noslers which I think was the 55 grain bullets. The PSP were 55 grain I'm sure. Longest shot was about 300 and the bullet still made it into the off side rib cage. Stopped by a rib bone but it expanded completely. Deer went about 50 yards in a dead run then dirt plowing. I've taken them also at 30 yards and they just collapsed. Largest was about 120lbs and it had a exit hole on the off side of the rib cage at about 75 yards. It still ran a little but was not hard to find. Exit hole was small. Maybe slightly larger than a pin half the size of a dime. I also had deer run with being shot by 165 grain 3006 bullet about 40 to 50 yards. It was behind the shoulder about 4 inches back. Still clipped the lungs but deer still ran. I seen deer run a little from 270's and 243's with good shot placement as well. The 223 will work but its not my first choice now that I live in mule deer country and not to mention I don't own one any more. I'm just saying it can be used. I will also say this because someone will always say the deer are about the size of a dogs down in Texas well is that true...poundage possible; average doe about 75 pounds with guts. Most does we shot were 60 to about a 70 with a 75lbs on the larger side when field dressed. Bucks were around 80-90 field dressed on average.

We developed a 64g Hammer Hunter for 9" twist this fall. We have family in Missouri that used it for deer this fall with great results from .223. We also have a 44g that is for 12" twist that we took two does with at 280y from a 22-250 at 4000fps. Bullet performance was stellar.

If your rifle is accurate with other bullets then accuracy with the Hammer will be no problem. The 64g Hammer will do everything that you want.

Steve

I should clarify my earlier post. After reading some posts on this thread, culling 75 pound does in the south is not like shooting 300 pound bucks up here in ND. So I agree that a 223 is adequate for those little deer.

Glad ya came around. Ive already killed i think 6 deer with the 223 so im not asking about its performance i was looking more for the bullet but ill start buy shoulder shooting some hogs and see what happens from there. When i shot the 77 grain noslers into water jugs they all destroyed the first two jugs and stopped in the third which is wider than any deer im gonna shoot so i oughta be fine.

We developed a 64g Hammer Hunter for 9" twist this fall. We have family in Missouri that used it for deer this fall with great results from .223. We also have a 44g that is for 12" twist that we took two does with at 280y from a 22-250 at 4000fps. Bullet performance was stellar.

If your rifle is accurate with other bullets then accuracy with the Hammer will be no problem. The 64g Hammer will do everything that you want.

Steve

I have to make a correction to my post.

At sea level the min recommended twist for the 64g Hammer Hunter is 1-8.5". Sorry if I caused any confusion.

Thanks,

Steve

Check out Swift Scirocco. I used the 75gr on an antelope this year out of my 8 twist AR. One shot bang flop, never took a step. Shot was from 125-150 yds. Swift also makes a 62gr that should stabilize in slower twist barrels.

The scirocco is an awesome bullet, I use their 7mm 150 in my .280 with great results

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.