700-300wm or 300wm

lefty15

I am going to get a custom gun built and I have narrowed down to a 7mm-300wm or. 300wm.
You guys have far more experience and knowledge than me. Which one would you build?
The 7mm-300 looks really good. Does anyone have any thoughts?

Why not a standard 7mm Rem mag ? Readily available brass and fine performance. If you wand 200+ grn bullets, go 300 WM

I hadn't never even considered the 7mm-300 wm until the smith mentioned it. He said it will get 150fps more that 7mm mag and brass is available with the parent being the 300wm. From what I have read you can push a 180gr bullet around 3150fps.

I am going to get a custom gun built and I have narrowed down to a 7mm-300wm or. 300wm.
You guys have far more experience and knowledge than me. Which one would you build?
The 7mm-300 looks really good. Does anyone have any thoughts?

Both are awesome chambering; it boils down to personal choice and application(s). Make sure you have the right twist for the bullet you're going use.

My go to chambering for antelope to elk size game up to 1k yards is the .300 WM. Load it with 215/230 Berger and you're golden.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/comparing-berger-210-vld-215-hybrid-88657/

Owned many of both. Built five 7-300's. There aint one 7-300 left in my safe. But there are two 300 win mags and I am building another 300. For a long range midsized magnum, the 300 win with a 215 kills way faster.

Jeff

If you want to send a heavy 7mm bullet that fast you should consider the 28 Nosler. Or just use the proven 300WM / 215 combo . In my experience, the more complicated you make it, the more complicated it becomes.

The 7-300 is not complicated at all and far cheaper than the 28 Nosler with near identical performance. What will you be shooting? I have one of each. The rifles are near twins. I plan on using the 7 for antelope and deer and the 300 for elk. Most likely I will just use whichever I get more comfortable with. I think at this point if I could only keep one I would lean towards the 300.

Choosing between the two chamberings suggested, IIWY go 300WM. It's a well known and widely used chambering. Everything is available. Nothing over priced or "out of stock".

There are of course many other options but if you don't want to fiddle or have to make the road before you can drive it, go 300WM.

I and a fiddler by nature. I like making up new things. Trying new things. Changing to see if I can get "more". More what? That is part of the fun of fiddling with things.

If you want to go down that route, there are sooooo many things to try.

28 Nosler
7mm-300 Weatherby
7mm Remington Magnum
300 Weatherby
300 WSM30 Nosler or 300/26-Nosler
300 RUM

I could go on for a long time including some designs I have not shared yet.

Don't drive yourself nuts for 150 fps, life's hard enough...take the easy way out and enjoy shooting instead of working, searching, thinking about brass in the future ! 300 wm ..all day, everyday !!

The 7-300 is super easy. You will need a reamer. The 300 is even easier. I think many of us, myself included, get caught up in all these decisions and forget why we need the tools in the first place. It's better just to pick one and get out and hunt.

The 7-300 is super easy. You will need a reamer. The 300 is even easier. I think many of us, myself included, get caught up in all these decisions and forget why we need the tools in the first place. It's better just to pick one and get out and hunt.

Don't drive yourself nuts for 150 fps, life's hard enough...take the easy way out and enjoy shooting instead of working, searching, thinking about brass in the future ! 300 wm ..all day, everyday !!

What they said.:D

I plan on shooting everything from Antelope to moose. I have looked at some other 7mm cartridges but the availability of brass has me limited on some of the other calibers.
I shoot a .300 win mag right now, It is a Tikka T3 heavy barrel varmint.
What velocity are guys getting from .300wm with a 215 gr pill?

What velocity are guys getting from .300wm with a 215 gr pill?

My 28" 300 win mag, is and has been, at 3035 since the 215 came out. Brass and barrel life is superb.

My 26" Christensen Arms Calssic II is at 2908 fps. This was an accuracy node. It would run faster but was happiest there right off.

I have seen some 26" 300 win mags get very close to 3K. Many were happy at 2950 to 2990 range.

Figure 20 to 25 fps per inch of barrel on the average rifle with H-1000 for this combo and you should be close.

All above data is from testing at 4100' asl.

Jeff

I recently came upon a good deal, I thought, on a Rem 700 SPS in 300 Win. New in the store and dirt cheap.

Downers are plastic stock and rough metal finish. Uppers are light weight and the darn thing shoots good.

Got a box of Winchester 150 grain cartridges for the cases. MagnetoSpeed showed two shots at 3280 and 3260. Hmmm, I thinks...

Placed 125 NBTs into the 2-shot sight in groups (3225 FPS ES=4) with 63
grains H4895 @ 300 of 0.60 and 0.275 MOA. I'm thinking, Hmmmm again.

Got me some 168 VLDs and 200 ELD-Xs to play with.

The 300 win can be anything from a 30-30 to a 300 Win Mag.

Could have used this much earlier in my life.

It's my goto yote rig at the moment.

First blood has been 3 squirrels. Hey when the dog barks tree ya gotta give them a reward. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.