300WM Sendero - 900 rounds - Replace with 300PRC or 300WM?

Muddyboots

I have documented every single round through this rifle since new in 2002 and it is starting to drop off a bit. I am starting to think of replacing barrel and the 300 PRC has gotten my attention. I also still like the .300WM for the distances I typically hunt as well. Barrel has seen mostly 200 gr pills, careful to keep barrel temp down all of its life when shooting (BTW - I used a bait bucket aerator between shots to push ice cooled air down barrel, helps a lot) , loads were usually maxed out with RL22; so as I sit here watching the snow I am thinking it may be good time to consider swapping out barrel for 2019 fall elk hunt.

I haven't bore scoped it yet but plan on seeing gunsmith pal to check throat etc. just to be certain where I am at on lifespan.

Its a decent platform with HS Precision stock, Timney trigger so I think getting a barrel that can shoot heavier bullets with 1:9 twist, 27-28" and maybe carbon.

So if this were your rifle, what direction would you go? Stay with 300WM? Change to 300 PRC? Or something else entirely? I have plenty of .30 cal bullets so plan on staying with that cal going forward.
Thanks for comments, derision, laughter etc. in advance....;)
Muddy

IMG_20181229_115756210.jpg
IMG_20181219_155403654.jpg
IMG_20181215_173907352.jpg
I have documented every single round through this rifle since new in 2002 and it is starting to drop off a bit. I am starting to think of replacing barrel and the 300 PRC has gotten my attention. I also still like the .300WM for the distances I typically hunt as well. Barrel has seen mostly 200 gr pills, careful to keep barrel temp down all of its life when shooting (BTW - I used a bait bucket aerator between shots to push ice cooled air down barrel, helps a lot) , loads were usually maxed out with RL22; so as I sit here watching the snow I am thinking it may be good time to consider swapping out barrel for 2019 fall elk hunt.

I haven't bore scoped it yet but plan on seeing gunsmith pal to check throat etc. just to be certain where I am at on lifespan.

Its a decent platform with HS Precision stock, Timney trigger so I think getting a barrel that can shoot heavier bullets with 1:9 twist, 27-28" and maybe carbon.

So if this were your rifle, what direction would you go? Stay with 300WM? Change to 300 PRC? Or something else entirely? I have plenty of .30 cal bullets so plan on staying with that cal going forward.
Thanks for comments, derision, laughter etc. in advance....
I just accidently deleted the post so will re do

Your post is very timely. I have been shooting a version of the prc for almost 7 years. With minor changes in my new reamer, you can load the factory prc ammo in my improved chamber and fire it like an A.I. You then just reload the brass with the improved Sherman dies and get a boost in performance and case design. I have 1600 rounds through mine and it still shoots bugholes. I can run the 225's over 3000' and we'll past 3150' with a 215. You can always fall back on factory ammo in a pinch and you don't have to waste barrel life fire forming. Win, Win!

Last edited:
Can't argue with the above information, I'm building the 300 PRC for now but either that or the S.I. version looks good to me,
Several others have had nothing but outstanding accuracy from this cartridge, really no harm in giving it a chance.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.