7 RUM using 180's

WeiserBucks

Recently acquired a 7 RUM , 29" 8 twist with extended mag box. The previous owner used 195's exclusively but I prefer the 180 Hybrids and looking for a shove in the right direction.

I have a bunch of RE 33 , will it work with 180's? I think Retumbo would be the best choice but it's basically disappeared. Any advice would be appreciated.

Recently acquired a 7 RUM , 29" 8 twist with extended mag box. The previous owner used 195's exclusively but I prefer the 180 Hybrids and looking for a shove in the right direction.

I have a bunch of RE 33 , will it work with 180's? I think Retumbo would be the best choice but it's basically disappeared. Any advice would be appreciated.

On my factory Sendero 7 RUM I use Retumbo at 92 grains with the 180.(getting close to top load) I also shoot a rum AI that I use the 195 and 180 in and I did do load development with r33 for the 195 and it seemed to be around 2 to 3 grains more that Retumbo would have been. I ended up at 94 grains of 33 for the 195 at 3210 I have since changed to WC 872 and I run almost the same charge weight as r33, now I don't push the AI hard because of the amount of work I have in my brass and really don't have to to get the velocity that I wanted. I have ran the 180s at 96 grains of 872 in my AI , I think I would start at around 92 grains of 33 and go from there in a rum with the 180

Last edited:
Thanks for the information guys . I have H1000 and RE33 , really hoping the RE33 produces satisfactory results due to the fact that I have 8 lbs of it .

However, we all know that we can't force a cartridge to like a certain combination. I might be forced to give the 195's a try .

rl33 will be just fine in your 7rum with 180's; as to whether it's accurate only you can find out. I'm playing with it with 183 sierra pills in my rifle at present. Retumbo was flaky in the rifle with 183's; one group was great, the next not so much. The last 7rum bbl hated rl33; this one hates Retumbo.
I am also running the 175 eld-x with h50bmg and have a couple boxes loaded.
I won't give you charge weights in print here (pm me if you want though) as my rifle has a very tight barrel and a 8" twist. It seems to eat just above what a 7stw should eat to get to pressure, not the ten grains or so more like most 7rum rifles.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.