7 rem mag best factory ammo vs 6.5 saum vs 338 for bull elk tag

rockwind

deserty portion of the SW portion of Merica
generally acknowledged best factory 7 rem mag ammo for bull elk?

there is pretty much no way i am going to be stretching out past 500-600 and i am not going to be shooting across any canyons. getting older, so plan on shooting first halfway decent bull i see which i can pretty much drive to within a few hundred yards

hopefully this doesn't attract the usual "what, are you an idiot?" responses. yes, i reload, fairly competently but the summer is booked and i have a decent bull tag for once but not into spending days resetting up my reloading stuff for it, i have a decent 180 gr berger hybrid load but i only have a few rounds left somewhere., nosler brass, h1000 but heavy sigh at cranking some out so will be going with some over the counter stuff.

i do know that different ammo shoots different out of different guns so just looking for opinions or experience.

i do have some factory winchester ballistic silver tip ammo which shoots darn good out of it but is only 150 gr

my 7 rem mag is a custom with a 1:9 twist, sporter barrel. running a tbac suppressor on it.

other choices i could shoot with

6.5 saum with 143 gr smk,,, also no time to use figure out reloading for lastest greatest elr bullets

or a 338 AI, which i will just be shooting regular 338 lapua ammo with 300 gr berger hybrids, or maybe 250's.

if any super smart types need further data, feel free to pm. cross-posted also

Last edited:
I'm sure there are a lot of answers to your question. Or at least what I think your question is. Federal ammo with 168 hybrid berger shoot quite well in my son's 7mm rem mag. He swears by them. Has killed a few elk with them and several deer. All one shot kills. I've used the bullet in my hand loads for elk in a 7mm rem mag and a 7mm wsm and it performed well. Don't have a lot of experience with factory ammo and don't know if this helps. But also must say if you shoot the 338 AI well, it should be an elk thumper. Good luck and have a good and safe hunt.

I was out looking for a bear this eve. I sent a factory 147 elm out of my 6.5 Prc and center mass at 700 on a rock. The rifle shoots within one ten mil as my 338 NM to 1000 for elev.Right after that I went to 800 and sent a 300 otm I held a bit for wind and hit right where I held, within 4'' of other shot.The hunt sounds like you have good road access,I pound elk with my 338's

Look up Unknownmunitions.com, they will load ammo to match what you already have or you can buy their generic hand loads in any of those rifles. You might even be able to send them your brass and save you some money.

Another option I would look for is Berger Factory ammo. Great stuff, I watched a guy make a first round hit with his 338 lapua at 1800 yards in Shawn Carlock's class last summer. That stuff shot great out of that gun.