7 PRC/7SAUM Velocities

I just bought some 7SAUM ADG brass because of FOMO (fear of missing out). I don't even have a 7SAUM rifle. I like efficient cartridges that will work well in shorter barrels suppressed.
Sounds like a 7saum in the near future. Great performance, efficiency, and accuracy out of a shorter barrel. Also a great replacement for the 7 mag you just sold and have a couple of other 7mags.

Careful with buying powders that you don't know what cartridge you plan to use. 😀I had some powders left over that were for a specific cartridge that I no longer had and I asked what were some of the best cartridges for those powders and I got chewed out because …who buys powders and doesn't know what cartridge they are for ??? what they couldn't understand was I knew what cartridge they were for when I bought it, but I sold the rifles and Figured why waste 60 pounds of powder. why not buy a cartridge or make a new load for the cartridges i had on hand that would work
If you've got any of that ol sorry R23 lying around I'll be there tomorrow !

Sounds like a 7saum in the near future. Great performance, efficiency, and accuracy out of a shorter barrel. Also a great replacement for the 7 mag you just sold and have a couple of other 7mags.
I keep telling myself to get purpose built rifles. I'm currently looking at Tikka barreled action with a 20" barrel 8 twist in 7SAUM. They will chamber to custom specs. I'm just lacking knowledge on Tikka actions and bottom metals right now. I already have a 280AI that is real close in ballistic performance but runs a 24" CF.

Careful with buying powders that you don't know what cartridge you plan to use. 😀I had some powders left over that were for a specific cartridge that I no longer had and I asked what were some of the best cartridges for those powders and I got chewed out because …who buys powders and doesn't know what cartridge they are for ??? what they couldn't understand was I knew what cartridge they were for when I bought it, but I sold the rifles and Figured why waste 60 pounds of powder. why not buy a cartridge or make a new load for the cartridges i had on hand that would work
Don't listen to those people. You know what you need/want. Plus it's one of the downsides to forum text. A lot gets lost in the context and delivery at times.
I think a lot of people on here want to help out. Also a few that are interested in doing the opposite.
Back to the regular scheduled program now. 😁

I'd most definitely go SAUM then.
Why is that? The PRC holds more powder so in my head it seems you would achieve these velocities easier. Don't get me wrong I prefer to go with the SAUM I am just not convinced I will get there without beating on the brass. If it was available more it wouldn't be an issue.

my reasoning is that I have a 7 PRC done with the AW2 reamer and I still get clickers somewhat on brass. It is nowhere near as bad as what people had on the original readers though. I am getting 3050 fps with 170 Gr hammer Hunter tipped bullets out of it. Don't let people fool you into thinking that this cartridge can get vast amounts of velocity over a 7 rem mag or a SAUM. If they are, they are pushing it way hard and will wreck the brass.

You will get 10 reloads out of a SAUM pretty easily. 2800 is extremely doable and I'd imagine 2850.

Why is that? The PRC holds more powder so in my head it seems you would achieve these velocities easier. Don't get me wrong I prefer to go with the SAUM I am just not convinced I will get there without beating on the brass. If it was available more it wouldn't be an issue.
7 saum all the way.
I say this because I recently had both 7 prc and 7 saum and both 24" barrels shooting 175 elites , both with RL26
7 prc 66.5 grs not hot but Id say was getting close and was 2975 fps.
7 saum 61.5 gr at 2955 fps and not hot. Did not go to pressure but could easily go another grain. Brass is on 5 firing and primer pockets as tight as the first loading.
Nothing against 7 prc but I think the 7 saum is just better.
And I traded my 7 prc and kept 7 saum

Last edited:
First rounds down the pipe today!

20" 7prc from preferred barrel blanks

First five were factory eldx avg velocity was 2752fps

Next 20 were a light load of 64gr of magpro with a 180gr eldm at 2550fps

Five more factory eldx avg velocity was 2750

The last five were 68 grains of magpro with a 180gr eldm at 2739 for a five shot average.

The 68 grains of magpro with the 180 eldm was under max per Hodgdon. My magpro is also questionable as some of it came from some pulled down rounds I got with a rifle purchase. I'll keep posting updates but it won't be serious until I run out of magpro and start load development the with the h1000. Need to get some 180 bergers to try with it also.

I'm hoping for 2850 with good brass life, we'll see how the hornady brass holds up during the first couple hundred rounds. If it's crap I'll get some Peterson or ADG.

Attachments

• IMG_1179.jpeg
    IMG_1179.jpeg
    371.9 KB · Views: 27
It may well be in this thread somewhere but what is the water capacity of both cases?

First rounds down the pipe today!

20" 7prc from preferred barrel blanks

First five were factory eldx avg velocity was 2752fps

Next 20 were a light load of 64gr of magpro with a 180gr eldm at 2550fps

Five more factory eldx avg velocity was 2750

The last five were 68 grains of magpro with a 180gr eldm at 2739 for a five shot average.

The 68 grains of magpro with the 180 eldm was under max per Hodgdon. My magpro is also questionable as some of it came from some pulled down rounds I got with a rifle purchase. I'll keep posting updates but it won't be serious until I run out of magpro and start load development the with the h1000. Need to get some 180 bergers to try with it also.

I'm hoping for 2850 with good brass life, we'll see how the hornady brass holds up during the first couple hundred rounds. If it's crap I'll get some Peterson or ADG.
Sweet looking rig !!!

I'll answer your last question the Hornady brass is absolute garbage get the good stuff now and save yourself powder and primers before you make your decision and burn through a bunch of components.