7.7 arisaka to 6.5

degreen

I was just given a 7.7 Arisaka that has been modified. I was thinking about necking the 7.7 down to 6.5, and doing an Ackley improved shoulder. I understand that the Arisaka has an extremely strong action, and that is why I would like to do this modification.

I only have one type 38 Arisaka, but I have four of the type 99.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arisaka

I bought a commercially sporterized type 99 that has a Springfield barrel in 300 Savage. I dreamed that out to 308.

I bought a sporterized type 99 still in 7.7 and put a Winchester M70 257 Roberts barrel on it after cutting 1.5mm pitch threads, a Timney trigger on it, I made a rear pillar from 3/8" steel tubing, I drilled and taped and used an altered Weaver #54 and a Weaver #46 scope base. There is some effort in the extractor relief cut on the barrel breech. I made a custom front recoil lug.

This drawing shows the mod to the Weaver base and the extractor relief cut in the barrel.

The timney trigger requires relieving bottom metal and stock... but it is worth it, as it also provides a decent safety

Attachments

• Type 99 Arisaka rebarrel drill and tap pillar bed drawing d 8-2017.jpg
    Type 99 Arisaka rebarrel drill and tap pillar bed drawing d 8-2017.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 112
  • Arisaka 257 recoil lug 1-22-2017.jpg
    Arisaka 257 recoil lug 1-22-2017.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 162
  • Arisaka 257 d 3-3-2017.jpg
    Arisaka 257 d 3-3-2017.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 163
I have been looking at case dimensions, and it looks like the 7.7 case has more capacity than the 284 Winchester. So I think it would be a good candidate for a 6.5mm.

I don't know what I was thinking. For some reason I was thinking 284, and it should have been 260 Rem. Now after looking at the 6.5 x55 I don't know which one to go with. Either way I want to do an Improved version.

I would be surprised if the original 6.5 jap bore is worth messing with.

Armies with corrosive primers that loose the war, do not finish well with the cleaning.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts