7.5 twist rate 243 Win

LBEdgin

I ended up with Ruger precision 243 Win. And my other 243 has a 12 twist rate so i dont a starting point although i do some 105gr Hornady. To the folks that has or had a 7.5 twist rate, what grain bullets and manufacturers did you the results with.
Thanks

Most of my barrels are from Bartlein with a 7.7" twist rate. This will provide stability per Berger's calculator for everything up to and including the 115gr. DTAC Rebated Boat Tail and the 101 gr. Hammer Hunter.

I have one of Gary's 7.5" twist barrels which provides the same performance as the Bartlein 7.7" twist.

Always be sure to measure the twist rate of any new barrel to be assured of the actual twist rate. The manufacturers can be wrong occasionally...;)

Enjoy the search!

:)

A 7.5 twist would get Sg values above 1.4 for almost all 6mm bullets shown, including 112's. No info on the 115 DTAC. I have an 8 twist .243 and am happy with 105 grain bullets having good form factors.

Screenshot (635).png

Last edited:
More Sg stuff:

A 7.5 twist would get marginal stability with a 112 Berger at 35 F - good groups possible but max BC might not be realized. The velocities shown are sort of high for a .243W loaded under 60K; Sg values would be slightly less for 100-200 fps lower velocities. I have an 8 twist .243 and am happy with 105 grain bullets having good form factors.

Screenshot (636).png

Last edited:
A 7.5 twist would get marginal stability with a 112 Berger at 35 F - good groups possible but max BC might not be realized.

I have searched Berger's website and I'm unable to locate the 112 grain VLD bullet.

Many, many variables can be exchanged within the calculations required to determine stability so it never surprises me when exceptions are found. That's why it's important to use the resources at hand to help determine which variables are important to your particular pursuit.

Enjoy the process!

I agree, 1:8 twist will do most everything. I have a Dasher in 7.5 shooting 105s and 108s very well. I have a factory 1:10 rifle that will shoot conventional shaped 100 grain bullets very well. I haven't tried a VLD in that gun above 95 grains and those shot well too. I have a .243 AI build on the bench that will have a 1:7 for monos.

I have searched Berger's website and I'm unable to locate the 112 grain VLD bullet.

Many, many variables can be exchanged within the calculations required to determine stability so it never surprises me when exceptions are found. That's why it's important to use the resources at hand to help determine which variables are important to your particular pursuit.

Enjoy the process!

Correction noted & applied there is a Berger 115 grain 6 mm bullet.
Sg stuff for that bullet:

Screenshot (637).png

Thanks for looking :oops:

Rebated 115Dtacs run fine in an 8tw. The original DTACS need a 7.5tw for me at sea level. I only shoot in the winter in colder temps my club range is 34' above sea level.
In my 243AI I've run 107smk's to 3280 with Rl25. H1000 is easy to keep that class of bullet at 3150 for PRS It will push the Dtacs that fast but with more pressure. 26 or 27" barrel can't remember what it was. Now it's wearing a 18"308 for a truck gun