6mm Remington

jdouthit

My son just found a model 700 Remington BDL that is about 40 years old. Only fired 40 times. Got it from a neighbor for a very low price. Nice rifle....now what is the best load for that caliber? He will be hunting Pronghorn and Deer. Then it will be a windy day coyote rifle after the regular hunting season. He would like to use the 95 grain Berger hunting VLD. Anybody got a load with that bullet? Oh,...he has Varget, IMR 4831 and some H380. Thanks.....

Berger's are really good from the 6mm on deer and antelope. However, they are not too reliable on coyotes. There is not enough target there to have them open and expand reliably. That is of course in my own experience. I have a 6mm rem in a parker hale and love this caliber. It was the first rifle I bought. I did get in on the 87 Grain testing when Berger offered it a year ago. My rifle loved this bullet. So either the 95 or the 87 grain would be a good choice on deer sized game. If you send me your e-mail address I will send you the load data I received from Walt Berger when I was testing the 87 grain bullets for them. I am a little hesitant to share my data as I know that it was warm for my rifle. But, it was accurate. I used H4350 and BR-2 Primers in Winchester brass. If I were creating a load for coyotes only out of my 6mm, I would choose an 80 grain ballistic tip. These also shot well out of my rifle. Heavy enough to buck the wind, yet quick enough for a running shot under 200 yards. Good luck and enjoy. It's too bad Remington didn't get the twist right to begin with. If so you wouldn't even hear about the 243 today.

[email protected]

My son just found a model 700 Remington BDL that is about 40 years old. Only fired 40 times. Got it from a neighbor for a very low price. Nice rifle....now what is the best load for that caliber? He will be hunting Pronghorn and Deer. Then it will be a windy day coyote rifle after the regular hunting season. He would like to use the 95 grain Berger hunting VLD. Anybody got a load with that bullet? Oh,...he has Varget, IMR 4831 and some H380. Thanks.....

I seriously doubt the remington will stabalize the 95 grain VLD. I had a Remington in 6mm about 15 years ago, plus a couple Rugers in the same caliber with the same twist rate. They wouldn't do Berger 88 grain LD's at all, but would all do regular 90 grain bullets. I kinda figure the twist rates were only good for about .40 B/C's.

As for loads, I learned to like the 87 grain Honadays with one rifle doing .40 groups. The best coyote round I found was the Sierra 80 grain Blitz. I used a lot of H414 and some H380 with Federal mag primers. Never got to try the 4831, but did try 4064 and some 4350. The 4064 heated the barrels up really fast, so I ditched that plan
gary

In '58 or so Remington went to a 1:9 twist on all their 6mm's. That gun should stabilize
up to 100 grainers and even 105's. The earlier guns were a 1:12 which would make
shooting todays longer bullets near impossible.

I use the 100 gr. Partition in my 6mm Remington and it shoots great with IMR4350 and H4831SC. Your rifle should have the 1-9 twist so it will stabalize the heavier standard bullets like the 95 and 100 gr. Partition.

My son's 6mm uses the 90 gr. E-tip and he is death with that thing. He shot his first elk ever last year with it at 350 yards and she went 25 yards at tops and tipped over.

A new bullet Nosler has come out with but I have not been able to locate yet to try which I think would be a terrific one with a high BC would be the new 90 gr. Accubond. Hopefully by fall we will see some of those.

The 6mm is a great coyote, deer, and antelope round. I think he'll fall in love with it! Good purchase!
David

. It's too bad Remington didn't get the twist right to begin with. If so you wouldn't even hear about the 243 today.

[email protected]
icon8.gif

Amen to that brother! Remington messed up big-time on that one!
icon8.gif

In '58 or so Remington went to a 1:9 twist on all their 6mm's. That gun should stabilize
up to 100 grainers and even 105's. The earlier guns were a 1:12 which would make
shooting todays longer bullets near impossible.

it's not the weight of the bullets so much as it is the B/C. The nine twist just won't do those .45 B/C's. I had trouble with most bullets that carried a B/C close to a .40, and even a few that were in the .38 range. I figure the Berger 95 grain VLD has a higher B/C than the 88 grain low drag bullet. It pretty much takes an eight twist barrel to make the VLD's work in a 6mm.
gary

I use the 100 gr. Partition in my 6mm Remington and it shoots great with IMR4350 and H4831SC. Your rifle should have the 1-9 twist so it will stabalize the heavier standard bullets like the 95 and 100 gr. Partition.

My son's 6mm uses the 90 gr. E-tip and he is death with that thing. He shot his first elk ever last year with it at 350 yards and she went 25 yards at tops and tipped over.

A new bullet Nosler has come out with but I have not been able to locate yet to try which I think would be a terrific one with a high BC would be the new 90 gr. Accubond. Hopefully by fall we will see some of those.

The 6mm is a great coyote, deer, and antelope round. I think he'll fall in love with it! Good purchase!
David

A Nosler Partition bullet actually has a lower B/C than the Ballistic tips, and is much lower than the VLD's
gary

icon8.gif

Amen to that brother! Remington messed up big-time on that one!
icon8.gif

Opinions will vary a great deal on the twelve twist barrel verses the nine twist one. I've seen 90 bullets stabalize well in the twelve twist, but they all carry a low B/C. Yet most 85 grain bullets work well in that twist rate. I shot sub half inch groups out of all three rifles using the Hornaday 85 grain bullets, and one of the Rugers would shoot in the mid fours and high three on a regular basis. Yet if you are shooting something like an 80 grain Blitz in them, you are over stabalizing them. Thus causing the group size to grow a bit. My 6BR uses a 14 twist barrel, and it will stabalize the 80 grain Blitz; although they are starting to open up slightly. The 75 grain bullet is near perfect. Shooting Times did a couple tests many years back compairing slow twist barrels with the fast twist barrels, and the results were surprising. I think Remington should have done a ten twist barrel in the .244, as it would have pretty much worked with every bullet on the market at the time. Remember the 24 caliber was originally ment to be a varmit rig.
gary

it's not the weight of the bullets so much as it is the B/C. The nine twist just won't do those .45 B/C's. I had trouble with most bullets that carried a B/C close to a .40, and even a few that were in the .38 range. I figure the Berger 95 grain VLD has a higher B/C than the 88 grain low drag bullet. It pretty much takes an eight twist barrel to make the VLD's work in a 6mm.
gary

It's the length of the bullet, not the bc. It just works out that heavier higher bc bullets
are also longer.

Boy, all this chatter on the 6mm is going to force me to reach deep in the old safe and blow the cobwebs off my 6mm. 22" Douglas air guage barrel and 85 grainers it is a perfect, "carry-all-day rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.