6mm Remington

GW Hunter

A buddy of mine has a Woodmaster semi-auto in 6mm Remington that he is asking me to find components and reload for. I've found 80gr TTSX bullets for it and have brass lined up. Anyone have recommendations on what powder to use for the semi? The Barnes manual has a LONG list of powders but I would like a few ideas on were to start. I've never loaded for a semi before but I am aware of the need to crimp the bullets though.

H4350 would be where I'd start. I hate to say it, but H4831sc may just be the ticket in that cartridge. I no longer use it in anything, never could get it to produce book velocities in anything I tried it in and H4350 always shot faster.

Cheers.

I've occasionally crimped for my classic AR15 in 223, but have never for the 5 other gasser cartridges I shoot. Nor do I crimp for my two 30-30's. Good neck tension and you should have no worries. Don't know squat about the Woodmaster, so take all this with a grain of salt.
The bigger issue I found was with the bullet, which you're kind of limited on with the TTSX. You may experience frustration with the tipped part.
Given that you're CA, I'd look for HP coppers which present more of a rounded point to the feed ramp. I've had Nosler BTs hang up feeding in my 308. The worst experience I had with feeding was with pointed soft points (Nosler) deforming and consequently jamming on the feed ramp in a 6.8.

I've occasionally crimped for my classic AR15 in 223, but have never for the 5 other gasser cartridges I shoot. Nor do I crimp for my two 30-30's. Good neck tension and you should have no worries. Don't know squat about the Woodmaster, so take all this with a grain of salt.
The bigger issue I found was with the bullet, which you're kind of limited on with the TTSX. You may experience frustration with the tipped part.
Given that you're CA, I'd look for HP coppers which present more of a rounded point to the feed ramp. I've had Nosler BTs hang up feeding in my 308. The worst experience I had with feeding was with pointed soft points (Nosler) deforming and consequently jamming on the feed ramp in a 6.8.
Advise heeded…. Thanks

A buddy of mine has a Woodmaster semi-auto in 6mm Remington that he is asking me to find components and reload for. I've found 80gr TTSX bullets for it and have brass lined up. Anyone have recommendations on what powder to use for the semi? The Barnes manual has a LONG list of powders but I would like a few ideas on were to start. I've never loaded for a semi before but I am aware of the need to crimp the bullets though.
I own three shoot h4831 in two 4350 in one would shoot 4831 in it but have a lot of 4350 not using in anything else

Not a bolt action. I would use a powder like 4064 at moderate pressure levels to avoid damage to action bars & cam parts from excessive impulse forces caused by high pressure at gas port with slow burning powders. I would guess the gas port is 8-10 inches out from back end of barrel. Same powder recommendations for M1 Garand might be applicable. It's a semi auto designed to shoot a bunch of bullets quick.

The plastic bullet tips might get bashed up or cause hang-ups. I would prefer hollow points. The 6mm Rem has a long neck & adequate neck tension should be enough to hold bullets. The Woodsmaster 6mm might have a 12 twist limiting bullets to 90 grains cup & core length or less; best to measure twist rate.

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry about the tips. I shot a Remington 742 for years with ballistic tips and never had a issue. If you are concerned try to find the 85 gr TSX. None of my 6mm Remington's are semi's but the TTSX should be fine.

Also Hodgdon reloading manual online has data for the 80 gr. TTSX and has a few powders listed.