6mm creedmoore build. what twist should i choose for light varmint bullets

KzDurango

looking at building a 6mm creedmoore based around the berger 88 grain high bc flat base varmint bullet.
if for some reason this barrel wouldnt shoot this bullet i would go with 80 grain nosler ballistic tips.
my question is would you go with a 1-9 twist or a 1-10 ? barrel will be 26 inch straight contour

I just ordered BRUX 1:9 for the same bullets, but for a 243AI. Just in case, I might want to run heavier bullets.

I would just run the standard 8 twist so that you can run anything out of it. I've ran 58gr vmax, 65gr BTHP Bergers, and 75gr vmax out of 7.5T and 8T 6cm's with phenomenal accuracy and no blow ups.

I'd look at those new Hornady 80gr ELD-VT's.

looking at building a 6mm creedmoore based around the berger 88 grain high bc flat base varmint bullet.
if for some reason this barrel wouldnt shoot this bullet i would go with 80 grain nosler ballistic tips.
my question is would you go with a 1-9 twist or a 1-10 ? barrel will be 26 inch straight contour
As others noted, 1:8" is plenty for your desired bullet weight. Stay your course in building what you want, and do not let anyone, including myself, talk you out of it. Good luck!

Wrong Cartridge. I'd recommend looking at a more "traditional" Cartridge that was intended for lighter bullets. Depending on desired speed there are multiple choices.
whats wrong with the 6 creed and berger 88 fb varmints ?? i already have a 243 that shoots 70 grain nosler ballistic tips at 3550 fps
dont need two guns that shoot the same projectile

deer-eats-popcorn_keep going.gif

I have three, 6mm rifles - .243W (8 twist), 6mm CM (8 twist), & 6mm AI (10 twist). The 8 twist rifles are only used with 105 grain bullets. The 6mm AI is only used with 87 VMax bullets at 3475 average FPS. My guess is the 6mm CM would get 3300 fps with the 87 Vmax.

Running the Miller Sg estimator for the 87 Vmax, 88 Berger FB, & 80 Nosler BT with 9 & 10 twist barrels:

Screenshot (848).png

As evident, substantial RPM's are churned up with 9 & 10 twist barrels. My thoughts are that bullets don't have perfect rotational balance densities (moment of rotational inertia) and the higher rpms exasperate minor balance deviations. An 8 twist would generate more RPM's. Going with this, I generally shoot 105's from the 8 twist barrels & 87 from the 10 twist 6mm AI at 3475 fps.

Either a 9 or 10 twist would work just fine with these bullets. I have had 2 barrels on my 6mm AI and I like the 87's with the 10 twist. I have used the 87 Vmax @ 3475 against rodents with great & exciting results - bang, zip, SPLAT at 1/4 mile & more. My last shot with the 6mm AI was last week, I hit 3 inch steel at 300 & blew the target off stand -I will offer gun club compensation to fix so I can keep hitting it. Kinetic energy is substantial with higher velocities, square of velocity.

The 87 VMax despite it's modest BC value of .4 ( G1) is a terrific longish range performer at just under 3500 FPS, like 600 yards. A 6mm CM would come real close. The 6mm CM having a 10 twist would be close to optimum with these light bullets & provide small rifle primer brass. My 8 T 6mm CM gives great results with 105's but when loaded with 87 VMax never has equaled the accuracy of the 10 T 6mm AI with 87's.

Consider the 87 Vmax bullets.

The 1-9 Twist SHOULD shoot, most, 60-65 grainers, up to, the 87 H-VLD's or,.. 95 grain, Berger Classic Hunters "well", in case, you want MORE Reach !
I'd rather be, slightly Over Twisted than,..Under Twisted,.. IMO !
IF, wanting to "Carry around" after Varmints, I'd Ditch, the "Truck Axel", Barrel size and go with, something around .700-.720 Muzzle Dia.
My .705 dia. , 24," 6xc barrelled ( Scoped w/ Burris XTR 5x-25x and Braked ) Rifle, Weigh's 11 Pounds and, shoots "BugHoles"

Last edited:
The US military has decided that a Sg = 1.5 is adequate. The Miller Sg estimator has been used & accepted for decades. Looking at the Berger stability calculator:

Should the bullet of choice be the 88 grain 6mm flat base Berger a 9 twist would be required to achieve a Sg greater than 1.5 at sea level at 75 F..

Screenshot (849).png

Screenshot (850).png

The Berger Sg estimator uses the Miller method and Sg = 1.34 was calculated with a 10 twist & Sg = 1.65 with a 9 twist. The Berger manual specifies a 10 or faster twist for the 88 flat base. On a hot day at a mile high elevation a 10 twist would be more than adequate.

Berger Sg values of 1.34 (10T) & 1.65 (9T) correspond with my Open Office spread sheet derived Sg values 1.34 (10T) & 1.65 (9T) using a barometric pressure of 29.92 inches of Hg, @ 75 F for all calculations.

Plastic tip bullets like the 87 Vmax & 80 Nosler BT achieve adequate stability with slower twists than equal length hollow point, FMJ, or soft point bullets., The plastic tip is regarded as weightless and the tip length is subtracted from the bullet OAL in the Sg estimate calculation.

As mentioned radial bullet density variation due to voids, jacket thickness/imperfections jacket land engraving when subjected to high centrifugal/RPM forces will affect accuracy due to variations of moment of rotational inertia. An example would be selection of slow twist barrels for short stubby bullets used for bench rest competition. Crazy high RPM's & huge Sg values don't correspond with good accuracy.

Should the OP desire high velocity loads giving extended point blank ranges on small targets combined with destructive expansion (splat effect) plastic pointed bullets in the 75 to 87 grain weight would work best. A 10 twist will provide "comfortable stability" for these bullets.

Most of my missed shots are wind caused. When shooting rodents I wait until they are lying flat and then go for the up-wind end. High velocities extend point blank ranges on short targets. The 87 Vmax is my bullet of choice & a 10 twist is optimum for that bullet. The 75 Vmax from a 12 twist would shoot flatter at most practical ranges, about 3700 fps but not as good in wind as the 87 Vmax.

The 95 grain Berger VLD has a very low G7 form factor and with a 8 twist at 3200 fps would be flat shooting but expansion would be lacking. Hornady is expected to produce a low form factor 80 grain 6mm bullet having a low SD and relatively high G7 BC - (SD/BC) and should be good with an 8 twist. They will be pricy at about $0.40 each. These might be a good companion bullet for the 105's that I shoot out of my 8 twist rifles.

Current marketing efforts push long skinny bullets having much weight for diameter needing fast twist barrels. These long skinny bullets having high G7 BC's might not work out so well for shooting rodents and such for practical ranges considering trajectory, recoil, price, & ricochet potential. I would use my 8 twist with a 105 VLD or 108 ELDM for shooting a rodent at 1,000 on a breezy day.

Last edited:
I shoot that bullet in a 1-7.5 and never had a problem. I have a 22" barrel and got around 3450fps with h4350.