6mm advice

I like the big bergers for the highest BC

The big 105 AMAX for long range and optimal expansion

for close range and ultimate velocity and explosion the 55gr polymer tipped bullets. I have seen one of these at over 4000fps hit a 20lb bobcat at 30 yds and not leave a exit!!!

steve

Wish I woulda taken the camera with me yesterday.I pulled the trigger on my 243(aka Red Mist)loaded with a full case of H414 behind a 55gNos.The target before was a jack @40yards,after the shot/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gifPut it this way,parts of it hit us/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif If I'm realy on my game I see the scope turn red and parts drop back to earth when aimed at prairie dogs.
The 105gVLD Bergers have ben doing a good job of flipping prairie dogs @ 750 yards out of the 6-284,not red mist but you don't have to wonder if you hitem
I'm sure there are other bullets out there that will getterdone but these two have workt the best for me,an added plus is both guns shoot thier best groups with these bullets.

Ill echo those thoughts... My 243 did well with H414 and 55gr Nosler ballistic tips. Ill never forget the first thing I hit with one, a pigion. Violent does not even begin to describe what that bullet did!

only prob i have with the bergers is last week me and BIll went out to kill a few more 1k pdogs with his new 6-250 APS rifle. that little sucker shots like a dream!!! I thumped a small dog in the *** end at 1075 and he managed to crawl around for a while, this is to be expected though. BJ center punched one at 1070 right through the guts and the dog hit the dirt and kicked it into 5th gear. He never acted like he was hit besides his odd way of running and the obvious panic.

Last year when i hit one at 1070yds with the amax there was at least a little expansion and 3 dogs died past 1050yds that day.

i just think the poly tipped bullets promote a little more expansion with the light jacketed bergers do at extreme range.

If you are within 500yds i dont think you will ever see a difference.

steve

I used to get astonishing results, using the Hornady 75 grain hollow point out at distances beyound 300 yards. I also used IMR-4320 powder in those handloads. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I am getting ready to have a 6-284 built, and I will be using the 75grn V-MAX. The 75grn V-MAX has a pretty good BC, I believe it's around .400. I have heard that this bullet blows them apart like no other. I will be pushing these babies at around 3800 to 3900 out of a 1-12 twist 30" Krieger. What kind of 6mm will you be shooting.

Wildcat

The 75gr VMax is definately explosive! I shot a rattler (he'd been hit by a car) in the neck, hoping that my (ex) wife could salvage the skin. Ha! It blew his head into next week and took a divot an inch and a half deep and 4 inches across out of the coil that was under his head. That was at about 3600 from my .243imp.
I really like the performance of the 55gr Ballistic Tips too. When shooting them at a steel target at the local range, they put bigger holes in the target than my 300! There's a splash of copper coated metal headed toward the bench and a bigger one out the back of the hole for a hole that I'd estimate looks like you shot it with a .375 solid.
Needless to say that P.dogs don't flop, run or scurry after the shot... I once found a little skull cap, eyebrows up, 20 yards from the nearest remnants of any other gophers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
****, now I want to go shooting instead of to work!
Coyoter

I am thinking of having a 6mm284 built as well...
the 75 grain V-max does not have a bc of .400, more like .330.. the bullet your thinking of is the 87 grain V-max, it has a Bc of .400, the highest of all V-max bullets...
better than the Crap .257 v-max 75 grain bullet with a BC of .280.

I believe you'd get some serious speed with 87's out of a 6-284, 3700-3800 out of a 30 inch pipe.. and a 10-11 twist.. sounds fun.

scott

as far as effectiveness goes, i haven't seen anything be as effective as the 80gr sierra gamekings i'm shooting out of my handloads. i'm not too sure of the velocity due to the lack of a chrono but there is no doubt of a long effective range(at least 500) and they definetely end whatever they hit, from pd's to mule deer and antelope bucks.

Hands down hornady vmax come apart quicker than any other polymer tipped bullet out there. 58s and 65s make a nasty mess out of chucks and coyotes, esp. out of a 6mm-06. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks for the info Scott, regarding the V-MAX bullets. The bullet I am looking to shoot the most is the 75grn V-MAX, however, the 87grn V-MAX will gets it's try out too. I should be able to push the 87grn V-MAX at around 3700 to 3800 out of the 30" Krieger. This rifle is going to be used for 600 to 800 yard shots, so the 87grn V-MAX might be the bullet I end up using. I can't wait to see what that bullet, at that speed, does to a squirrel. Here are the specs on this rifle;

1. Caliber 6-284 (Tightneck)
2. Nesika, Model K, 1.450 Dia. Action
3. Krieger 30", throated for 75grn and 87grn V-MAX, 1.250 tappered to 1.00" at the muzzle, 1-12 twist
4. Vias Muzzle brake
5. McMillan A-5 w/adj LOP and adj cheek peice
6. Jewell 2oz trigger
7. Davidson base with 20 MOA added
8. Kelby 30mm Rings
9. Topped w/Nightforce 12x42x56mm NXS
10. Weight of rifle/ 20lbs

I have not yet decided if I am going to Teflon Coat this rifle Matte Black. What do you guys think about an all black rifle. I still have not decided on a gunsmith to build this rifle. I should be receiving all the parts this month, so I need to pick one soon. If I decide to teflon coat this baby, what kind of coating should I use.

Thanks
Wildcat

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.