6mm 87-gr Vmax top speed ?

87gr v max at 4K I feel like a 10-11 twist would be ideal.

This guy has sone experience with them.

I didn't get many, "Repeatable" good groups, in my 6 XC, 1-7.5 twist, 24" Criterion Barrel,..
One day, the 87 V-Maxes shot tiny,.. the next week,. "Chitty" ( 1/2 to 3/4, MOA ) at, 3,200 FPS ( I gave up !! ) .. so, I gave them to my grandson for his, 1-10 twist .243 Win. to shoot steel, practice with ( Work Fine, in the 1-10 Twist ). My 6 XC 10 pound Rifle, shoots most good Loads, in the 2's to 4's,.. Max. Now I shoot, the 95 gr. Classic Hunters at, 3,150 FPS or, 80 Berger Flat Base @ 3,250 for small Varmints & the 103 ELD-X's for Yotes.
To answer OP's question,. I don't know when, a 87 gr. VLD Berger, Hunting bullet will "Blow up" but, my son shot, a 5 shot, .277 group out of g-s's "Factory stock".243 Tikka, in .243 Win and same 13 y/o gs has, now "Hammered" 2 big Muleys with them at, around,.. 3,150 FPS.
I will go with, "Repeatable Accuracy",.. ANY Day, before,.. Speed

Last edited:
V max and burgers may not give desired results as their base may cave in due to rotational torque during obturation. If you see issues, immediately try the 90 and 95g Nosler Ballistic tips, as their thick "solid base" resists the deformation due to rotational torque.

Hemiford, use a ballistic program and see what twist works with a 1.5 stabilization factor, and choose twist accordingly. Also, you may want a 1* leade angle vs 1.5* leade angle. Since you are talking V max, Make the throat dia .2440-.2445 as some lot numbers are running a .2435 dia on the shank, you do not want jacket material being scraped off in the throat which would spike pressure.

I know a guy here that is shooting the 55g,70g, Nosler ballistic tips on deer out of a 6 Gibbs at incredible speeds that I will not repeat, very slow twisted, 30" barrel.
No no!!!!! Repeat it! I need to know how fast it's going!

I gotsta know!!!!

Last edited:
Will this bullet withstand 4000 ft/s MV ?
I'm going to build a 6mm SAUM, with a long barrel, so I expect very high MV,
will this bullet survive the launch ?
I was also looking at the Berger 6mm 87-gr VLD Hunter, same question for that one.
I'm considering a 10 twist barrel, not 9 or 8 for this build.
I have a 6 Ackley and use 87 gr Hornaday bthp at 3302 fps. It will do a number on coyotes out to 600 yards (farthest for me)
Rem Varmint 24" factory barrel 1&9 twist. it will handle 105 gr just fine also.