6mm-284 Resizing

mudluvn

Hello, Need some advice on building brass for the 6mm-284. Found some brand new 284 brass and the 6-284 dies are on there way. Will the dies resize it or is that to big of a jump. Thanks, Dan

Im also playing with a 6mm-284 and its starting to become one a my favorites. Fast and Accurate
I have not resized any .284 for mine tho. I picked up some 6.5-284 Lapua and resizing it was as simple as running thru the die.
Now going from 284 to 243 may be a big jump depending on what kind of dies you have. If they are bushing dies then you can get diff size bushings and go a little at a time. If they are not bushing style you may want to find someone that has 6.5-284(.264) and start with them.
Remember that if you load HOT and shoot multiple rounds without giving barrel time to cool your going to be taking the life out of it early.
Good Luck and let me know how it goes.

I found it a big jump. It would help if you could get a 6.5-284 FL die to go part way.

If you or your gunsmith has the reamer you can make a form die from an old rifle barrel. I used a .264 win mag takeoff, threaded it 7/8-14 then chambered it. After running in the reamer sanded the neck a bit larger then polished.

If nothing else is available and you have a standard seating die you can use it to partially reduce the necks then go with the 6mm-284 die. Don't try using bushings as the angle is too abrupt and may collapse necks.

Too bad Redding doesn't make one side of those bushings tapered......I have thought of grinding and polishing a taper into a few bushings myself but haven't tried yet.

Thanks guys, I found a used set of redding FL dies and an Rcbs neck sizing die. A friend of mine has a 6.5, I'm sure I could borrow his dies for now. Anxious to get started. They should be here later this week.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.