6br 14 twist barrel

concretesteady

I have a 6br with a 14 twist barrel that shoots Hornady 58 grain V-max bullets lights out, but I'm looking for something with a higher BC that I can shoot in long range competitions. How heavy can I go with a 14 twist barrel? Any suggestions are appreciated. I know I can rebarrel, but I'd like to shoot this one out first.

14 twist is pretty common in the 6ppc., not so much in a 6BR. Bullets are in the 60 - 70 grain range. The Berger 64 gr. is a good one. There are many custom bullets available.

I shoot a PPC slow twist in groundhog matches, score bench rest for the last 17 years out to 500 yards. I use the 67.7 grain moly Ballistic Idiot Bullet BIB...our matches are 100-200-300-500 5 shots for group and score....highest score I ever shot was 149/150 and smallest 5 shot group 1.500 inches at 500 yards. You only get in trouble if it's windy at 500 with this lightweight bullet, it will compete on most days with any other cartridge if you watch the wind, I had mine smithed by Borden rifles and it has a longer barrel than the usual PPC ,,26 in and it can make some velocity to help out from 400-500 winds. I've never shot any other bullet other than BIB 67.7 moly, so I have no other experience to tell you....

Frank, I don't see a 67.7 bullet listed on there website, is that a custom order?

Corey, what Berger bullet would you recommend? I'm shooting the 58 grain at about 3225 fps.

The 67 is there.....it'all just be marked on the box 67.7, maybe it's because all I shoot are moly coated...I bought enough to last a long long time and a few barrels but I'm convinced the moly has prolonged barrel life/extended accuracy a great deal.. He's usually very prompt with service also, very nice guy to deal with

Frank, thanks for the lead. I talked to Randy earlier and he was very friendly and knowledgeable. I'll report back after shooting his bullets.

Frank, I don't see a 67.7 bullet listed on there website, is that a custom order?

Corey, what Berger bullet would you recommend? I'm shooting the 58 grain at about 3225 fps.

Our Column bullet has been pretty popular lately. For the highest BC in that weight range, you could look at the 65gr BT bullet. It all depends on what the gun likes to shoot...

I have a 6br with a 14 twist barrel that shoots Hornady 58 grain V-max bullets lights out, but I'm looking for something with a higher BC that I can shoot in long range competitions. How heavy can I go with a 14 twist barrel? Any suggestions are appreciated. I know I can rebarrel, but I'd like to shoot this one out first.

You might want to try some of these

Bart's custom bullets - Home

I never shot any of the BIB in 6mm but shot some of his 30 cal HBR.

I shoot 1/14 twist 6ppc.

14" twist 6mmPPC take off barrels have always been dirt cheap ~~$50.
The short, fat, slow twist barrels are nearly worthless due to high supply and low demand.

I put one on a 1917 Sav99 and fired it single shot.

With 75 gr Vmax I would get 0.2 moa or 0.3 moa in 3 shot groups and then I would get keyholing. Obviously this is the real edge of stability.

65 gr Vmax, no problem.

Attachments

• Sav99withscopeBullBarrel.jpg
    Sav99withscopeBullBarrel.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 131
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.