6.5X55 Question

ebd10

Rummaging through the pile of parts I've accumulated, I've decided to build a long range rig in 6.5X55. The question I have is; what barrel length would be best for this caliber? I hope to use it for LR Hunting as well as a few rifle matches. I have the stock, a 700 action, and a dump truck load of components for reloading. Soooo, I'm hoping someone on this forum has used this cartridge enough to suggest powder, barrel length, and bullet weights.

Rummaging through the pile of parts I've accumulated, I've decided to build a long range rig in 6.5X55. The question I have is; what barrel length would be best for this caliber? I hope to use it for LR Hunting as well as a few rifle matches. I have the stock, a 700 action, and a dump truck load of components for reloading. Soooo, I'm hoping someone on this forum has used this cartridge enough to suggest powder, barrel length, and bullet weights.

I believe 26" to be about the ideal barrel length, with a 1:8 twist. A 1:9 twist has worked just fine for me, but the 8 twist is better. The 140 class bullets are the way to go. I like the Berger VLD's and Hornady AMAX's. Neither one are easy to get right now, so you will have to be both patient and vigilant. I have had good results with H4831. RL-22 will get you more speed, but is typically more temp sensitive. Lapua brass is worthwhile in the 6.5x55. It is also much less expensive than Lapua brass for the other popular 6.5's (6.5x47, .260 Rem, and 6.5-284).

Be advised that available data for most of the 6.5's is woefully inadequate. Data for the 6.5x55, in particular, is badly emasculated. Since you are using a modern action, you can safely load to modern pressures. The 6.5x55 becomes a different cartridge when loaded to its potential. I strongly recommend using Quickload with cartridges like the 6.5x55. It will go a long way toward helping you sort out modern loads for your rifle.

One other thing to consider is that the 6.5x55 case has significant taper, making it a good candidate for the Ackley Improved treatment. Yes, you will gain some capacity and velocity, but the gain I have heard cited the most often is brass stability and brass life. The tradeoff will be more expensive dies and the need to fireform. The AI may or may not be for you. Just thought I'd put the idea out there as food for thought.

I believe 26" to be about the ideal barrel length, with a 1:8 twist. A 1:9 twist has worked just fine for me, but the 8 twist is better. The 140 class bullets are the way to go. I like the Berger VLD's and Hornady AMAX's. Neither one are easy to get right now, so you will have to be both patient and vigilant. I have had good results with H4831. RL-22 will get you more speed, but is typically more temp sensitive. Lapua brass is worthwhile in the 6.5x55. It is also much less expensive than Lapua brass for the other popular 6.5's (6.5x47, .260 Rem, and 6.5-284).

Be advised that available data for most of the 6.5's is woefully inadequate. Data for the 6.5x55, in particular, is badly emasculated. Since you are using a modern action, you can safely load to modern pressures. The 6.5x55 becomes a different cartridge when loaded to its potential. I strongly recommend using Quickload with cartridges like the 6.5x55. It will go a long way toward helping you sort out modern loads for your rifle.

One other thing to consider is that the 6.5x55 case has significant taper, making it a good candidate for the Ackley Improved treatment. Yes, you will gain some capacity and velocity, but the gain I have heard cited the most often is brass stability and brass life. The tradeoff will be more expensive dies and the need to fireform. The AI may or may not be for you. Just thought I'd put the idea out there as food for thought.

+1
The other option and a good one is the 6.5 Vais out of the Swede in a M700, George Vais the designer has a great cartridge in that one. I've put a few down range with it and it's very impressive.
Good luck

I went 28" barrel with a cartridge having the same capacity as the swede(a 26wssm imp).
I don't have experience with a shorter barrels in 26cal, but I mind 'muzzle pressures' as calculated from QuickLoad, and less than 26" exceeds my cut-off at 10kpsi.

I'm not a proponent of shorter is better across the board. Nor would I go to an extreme with barrel length. I think we need to choose the cartridge capacity that gives us what we want & then chose a barrel length that is efficient in burn, and allows cartridge potential.
Some of it depends on your weight goal, barrel weight, and of course you need to reach rifle balance(which could mean adding weight to butt stock).
26-28" seems right to me for 26cal -that is not way under or over bore capacity.
24-26" for 24cal
22-24" for 22cal
28"+ for 28cal-up

That said, you'll see every extreme out there, shooting good AND bad.

If it was up to me I would go 26" on the barrel length 8" on the twist and most any powder in the H4350 to H1000 burn rate depending on bullet weight and I would be set. I have a number of Swede military 6.5x55s but I salvaged a M-96 from a Bubba that had started hacking on it and made a pretty good sporting rifle out of it. I left the 29" barrel alone because I had found that with the pressure limit of 46000 CUP that the small ring Mauser actions is rated for I could get some serious velocity with that long barrel. It is a bit difficult handling that long barrel in a box stand hunting though. With according to the Accurate manual MAX loads which are under 46000 CUP of AA4350 gives me 3000 fps with 120 gr bullets and 2850 fps with 140s and I get outstanding accuracy. I have killed a bunch of deer with 120 Ballistic Tips and Sierra SP and 140 Sierra and Hornady SP. They all work very well.

I built a 1:8" 6.5X55mm BJAI a few months ago. I intended to finish it at 26", but was able to get 26.25". My intention is to shoot 140gr. exclusively. I haven't done load development, yet.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.