6.5x47 Lapua in 20" barrel

thesheepdog

Hi guys,

My wife expressed a lot of interest in LR shooting recently so I am going to build her a 6.5x47 Lapua. I found a Savage action and a 6.5x47 prefit barrel for a good price....hence why I am referencing this caliber (6mm Creed and a couple others were options if I could find the right deal). Unfortunately the prefit barrel is 26" AND she wants to shoot suppressed, which will make for a LONG rifle. So I am going to have the barrel cut to 20" for her.

What kind of ballistics are you guys getting out of 20" 6.5x47 tubes?

thanks for the help.

Still kinda new to this, but that may performance may be close in comparison to a 260/6.5 in a Tikka CTR. All three cartridges are kind of in the same family, and the CTRs have a 20" tube. And I'm sure some shoot this suppressed. Could be a good starting point.

sheepdog,

Can I ask why you didn't go with the slightly larger cased 6.5 Creedmoor? Lapua is making 6.5 CM cases for small rifle primers and a smaller flash hole if that's what you are looking for.

Eric B.

sheepdog,

Can I ask why you didn't go with the slightly larger cased 6.5 Creedmoor? Lapua is making 6.5 CM cases for small rifle primers and a smaller flash hole if that's what you are looking for.

Eric B.

Good brass, barrel available for a good price (Savage), better barrel life than .260 or 6.5CM....6.5CM was an option, but, since this is a Savage build, I found a 6.5x47 prefit for a very decent price that saved me a couple hundred $ on the build.

I am getting 2809 fps with a 135 Berger classic hunter out of my 20" tikka CTR. I was really hesitant to get the 20" barrel, only reason I did was I have a suppressor in jail for it and thought 27" finished would be nice. It still shoots amazing with a 20" barrel and I think 2800 fps is pretty good for a 6.5 Creed.

You could bump up to 22" if you are worried. 2" isn't that much of you are shooting off bipods or a bench.

I get 2860 fps with the Berger 130 AR Hybrids out of a 22" barrel. 41.3 gr of H4350, 0.015" jump. So guessing 2800 - 2810 with a 20" bbl.

Gotta love the 6.5X47. Those are some good speeds you guys are getting with those short barrels. I get 3000 fps out of mine in a 26" Broughton, with 130 Bergers. Just finishing up a semi light weight 6.5X47. It has a 25" Benchmark #3 fluted. It has become my favorite caliber.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.