6.5x284 vs 6.5x47

Both variants are extremely accurate cartridges with proven competition benchrest success. Overall, the 6.5x284 will generate higher velocities due to the increased case capacity. The 6.5x47 uses a short action, the 6.5x284 generally uses a long action receiver. These lengths accommodate 140VLD bullets. About 300 FPS increase with the 6.5x284 using 140 gr. bullets, about the same difference comparing the 6.5x284 to a 260 Rem. For hunting purposes for deer sized game, the 6.5x 47 does at 600-700 yards what the 6.5x284 does at 900-1000 yards from an energy/ballistics standpoint. You could expect barrel life to be at least 2x greater with the 6.5x47 under similar conditions. You have to reload both to get the most out of both. For hunting I use a 6.5x284, for my target/competition I use 6.5x47/260rem class cartridges. iMHO.

Thank's for taking the time to reply mr Greyfox. Your feedback was timely and informative. I have the shurley brothers in Herber Springs AR building me a sharp shooter for sure. I have about decided to just go with the 260 remmy. Your Thoughts sir!

I think the choice of cartridge depends on what your intended use will be. I am a big fan of the 6.5x284 for deer/antelope hunting out west where my shots have been as far as 1000 yards. It carries 1000 ft/lbs of energy at this range. For my high volume target shooting, competition, and hunting in the east where shots are rarely over 500 yards, I like the 260. I just finished up loading up a bunch of 260 Rem loads for an egg shoot this coming weekend. I really like this round. It's very accurate, low recoil, long barrel life, and Lapua brass is readily available. My two primary shooters are a 6.5x284 Cooper, and a Savage LRP in 260 Rem. Good luck with your rifle, it's sounds nice!!

greyfox,

I was also looking into a custom rifle that would serve double duty for prairie dogging as well as coyotes. I was leaning toward the 6 BR using 75 gr v-max bullets. I am very impressed with the accuracy and low recoil of this caliber. I have been lead to believe the 6 BR will reach out and touch em at long ranges. Also was wondering about the 6.5x284 in this situation. It seems to me the 6.5 would reach out even further, but what about the recoil difference, is it that much greater than the 6 BR ? I've been out of the loop for quite some time and the ballistics and ranges of these two calibers (though fascinating) are confusing for an old tractor driver! Your input on this particular scenario would be most appreciated.lightbulb

What is the range and volume you expect to be shooting? PD's can be pretty high volume shooting. For this kind of shooting, the 6BR would have lower recoil, but more importantly, provide much longer barrel life over the 6.5x284. 1000-1500 rounds, 2x or more for the 6BR. For coyotes and high volume PD's, the 6BR would be my personal choice.

Thanks Greyfox,

I was thinking along those same lines, but needed some backup before dropping 5 grand on a custom job made specifically for those critters. I feel better now about my original choice. Thanks again, and good hunting.:rolleyes:

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.