6.5x284 RL26 and 140's Anyone tried this combo?

B23

Have any of you used RL26 with 140's in your 6.5x284??? Getting ready to start work on one with a 1-8tw and was thinking about trying this powder first.

If anyone has worked up loads with this combo I'd greatly appreciate it if you shared your experience/s. Good or bad, I'm interested in both because this will be my first time using RL26 in anything.

I have not even seen any data with RL26 have you,I am now working with Retumbo trying to get better than 2627 fps with 140 Bergers,strange got 2729 with RL22 and 140 Nosler BT good luck

I have no first hand experience with RL26 in anything, I've only played with the numbers in QuickLoad. Per the QL numbers, RL26 looks promising but even though QL is usually very close to my end result, it'd be nice to hear from someone/s that have actually worked with this particular powder in a 6.5-284.

I loaded mine with 140 Berger VLD @ 3.145 (touch), lapua brass, CCI250 starting at 55 gr. and worked up to 57.0 at 3120 from a 26" Bartlein. I settled on 56.5 for just shy of 3100fps. No signs
of primer issues or hard bolt lift for what it's worth, YMMV

I loaded mine with 140 Berger VLD @ 3.145 (touch), lapua brass, CCI250 starting at 55 gr. and worked up to 57.0 at 3120 from a 26" Bartlein. I settled on 56.5 for just shy of 3100fps. No signs
of primer issues or hard bolt lift for what it's worth, YMMV

And the accuracy I'm assuming was good, yes??

Those are pretty respectable fps numbers. If it groups well and RL26 isn't very temp sensitive, I'd say you have a winner!

Curious, did you by chance load any with more the 57 grains of did you stop there because you felt you were nearing max pressure??

Also, thank you for sharing your load info.

I have a #3 contour @ 26" and 57gr just started to show a little stiffness on opening, primer
pockets still snug. 56, 56.5 57 all shot sub 3/4" with no tuning. I don't know what your chamber or freebore is so start at 54 and work up. As for temp stability, how extreme are your conditions?
I think that drum gets beat too much. Don't believe the drivle online until you test it yourself.

I've had great results in my 6AI with RL26 and 210m.
I need to conserve my Retumbo, so I'm going to load up some 26 with 140 vlds. I'll try to give test results later. I usually test 210m primers first when trying a different powder, but Retumbo liked 250s in 6.5 284.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.