6.5x284 Build

dogbuster0006

Looking for some general advice. I've studied ballistics till my eyes are crossed, I currently have .243, .308, 7rem mag. I'm wanting something light weight but accurate, pierce long action, 20-22" krieger barrel #3 contour, either a jewell or timney trigger I've used both like both equally. The stock is the only real snag I'v ran into I'm thinking bell&carlson synthetic, or a good laminate torn between the two. I've already got a reloading set-up, 6.5x284 I really like the number with the 140gr vld and light recoiling fast handling rifle seems like the ultimate set up. Mostly it'll be a deer rifle, would like to chase sheep or goats eventually, I've got the 7mm for bear and elk just want moderately custom rifle.
Would like to keep rifle build under 3k.

I have most of the equipment needed to do all finish work, mounting barrel to action will be done by my local guy never done that one and don't want to risk it. I've done lots of work for buddies and co-workers and my own stuff over the years and feel I can handle everything else just fine should be able to save some money that way too.

For all you guys with custom guns am I heading down the right road here? Any reasonable suggestions from gunsmiths out there?

Depending on the range you are looking to shoot, I would consider a minimum of a 24" barrel for the 6,5x284. The sweet spot for the 140 VLD is in the 2950-3000 range. It is very unlikely you will get there with 20-22".

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.