6.5x284 and Superformance

For the guys running Retumbo, what is your load. I haven't tried that yet and currently using H4350 with 123 AH. But I want to work up a load for a Berger 140VLD. Thank you,

Not 6.5x284 but a 6.5 Remington Magnum, which has similar powder capacity. Initial test showed good (<1 inch) accuracy at 100 yards. I need to try it again.

Which one is it? Norma or Winchester?
Hmm ! I own 2 6.5 x 284 Norma's NEVER EVER heard of a 6.5 x 284 WinChester ? What is this Cartridge ? 🤔🤷🏼
any how Superformance powder might Be Perfect for it near same burn rate as H4831 powder which is a excellent powder .

Last edited:
Hmm ! I own 2 6.5 x 284 Norma's NEVER EVER heard of a 6.5 x 284 WinChester ? What is this Cartridge ? 🤔🤷🏼
any how Superformance powder might Be Perfect for it near same burn rate as H4831 powder which is a excellent powder .
The .284 Winchester was designed for short actions. The 6.5 version ALSO intended for short actions kept the "Win" designation.

The NORMA long action version was more suitable for what y'all are about and did better number wise.

(Quote)
There are several variations of the 6.5-284, but the two most common are based on the .284 case simply necked to 6.5 without any other significant changes. The first version has an overall cartridge length of around 2.800 inches that allows it to function in .308-length actions, and chamber throats are cut comparatively short to correspond with the shorter cartridge. This short-action version is most commonly known as the 6.5-284 Winchester. It is popular with big-game hunters wanting a shorter, lighter rifle and is still offered by many custom gunsmiths, as well as New Ultra Light Arms, as a standard chambering that is reported to have strong sales.

(quote)
The second version is designed with bullets seated farther out for an overall cartridge length up to 3.228 inches, which requires a .30-06-length action. This version increases powder capacity and velocity. Naturally, the throat is cut longer to accommodate the longer bullets. This is the configuration that has gained such widespread popularity among long-range competitors.

I don't have any experience with 6.5x284 but I've used superformance powder a bit. my 300 wsm loves it, Shoots good groups and by far the fastest I tested 178-200gr. Was also well above book velocity for all weights. I've also tried it in 6.5 cm 129-143gr, my major take away there was it pushed the 143 about the same speed as the lighter stuff and was well below book velocity for all weights. Also tried it in 30-06 with 180 TTSX, shot pretty well but ended up at a compressed load well before I hit pressure signs (not true for the other two). It definitely seems to do best with heavier bullets and closer to max loads. Temp sensitivity was close to 1 FPS per deg F in all cartridges between 35 - 75 deg. I know it's not the exact info you were looking for, but hope it helps. Good luck, keep us posted!

Never tried SPFMCE in my Norma. It's my go-to in a .22-250. It is very temp sensitive. Loads worked up in winter caused extreme bolt-lift in summer. Lapua brass. 210 primers. RE-25 is my go-to in the Norma.

Only cartridge I've tried Superformance in is 6.5 Creed. 45.0 grs with a 143 ELDX very accurate and fast out of my Tikka. I have 5 lbs. of it and see it all the time here and way cheaper than other powders. I keep thinking I should buy more. 🤔

Only cartridge I've tried Superformance in is 6.5 Creed. 45.0 grs with a 143 ELDX very accurate and fast out of my Tikka. I have 5 lbs. of it and see it all the time here and way cheaper than other powders. I keep thinking I should buy more. 🤔
Now I know where I can get some if I need it.🤣