6.5PRC Chamber Rework Poll

Did you rework your 6.5PRC Chamber to fix clickers or extraction issues after firing?

• Yes - Hand/Machine Reamer

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes - Polished the chamber

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

AZHTR

I hope this works (1st Poll) and I thought through all of the pertinent details 🙏

This poll is for all 6.5PRC RIFLE Owners -

For those of you who might have encountered a tight SAAMI chamber in their 6.5PRC, regardless of new brass, 1st, 2nd, 3rd firings etc. I wanted to understand how many of you owners either
1) Did nothing - rifle chamber works as it should
2) Reworked your chamber to fix "clickers" or extraction issues caused by tight brass after firing
3) Had a gunsmith rework your chamber to fix "clickers" or extraction issues caused by tight brass after firing.

I don't really care who did the rework, just want to understand
"Number of Reworked Chambers versus Did Nothing Chambers"

tagging in. I don't know if you can edit your #2 on the poll but do you mean sanding out the chamber to enlarge it vs. using a reamer? I haven't read that a simple "polish fixes" clickers.

I'm not sure if I can edit, however, I believe I set-up the poll for a week or so and had only ONE response. So I don't know if I didn't set up the poll correctly OR nobody wanted to participate.

But to answer your question - yes, sanding or polishing the chamber.

And I have heard that some folks (depending on the brass they are using) did a little sanding/polishing to remove a .001 or so was enough to fix their "clicker". But, the two rifles I used the AW reamer on "still" needed a little more polishing to remove clickers. (ADG brass)

I'm in the process of trying figure this issue out. If you opened up the chamber like your suggesting, wouldn't the brass form to the chamber after firing? My dad and I have this issue in 3 different rifles. One is a mossberg patriot, 2 others are aftermarket barrels. All three shoot factory ammo fine, all 3 struggle with any reloads, the more firings on the brass the worse it gets. Both adg and hornady brass. After 5 firings it's not safe to use. I question how this can be a chamber issue. And it's happening to most hand loaders I know

I'm in the process of trying figure this issue out. If you opened up the chamber like your suggesting, wouldn't the brass form to the chamber after firing? My dad and I have this issue in 3 different rifles. One is a mossberg patriot, 2 others are aftermarket barrels. All three shoot factory ammo fine, all 3 struggle with any reloads, the more firings on the brass the worse it gets. Both adg and hornady brass. After 5 firings it's not safe to use. I question how this can be a chamber issue. And it's happening to most hand loaders I know
Is it because you cannot bump the shoulder down enough to allow the cartridge to chamber or is the die not sizing the whole brass down enough to allow it to chamber?

Lots of information out there on this issue on many forums. It is an issue with the new PRC "design" (6.5 & .300). I've only had experience with using the AW6.5PRC reamer and it will fix "most" of the tight chamber issues.
You can certainly PM me for my phone number and we can discuss. I'm certainly no expert, not even a gunsmith and I've only used the AW reamer on a couple of chambers. But it was a simple rework.

Is it because you cannot bump the shoulder down enough to allow the cartridge to chamber or is the die not sizing the whole brass down enough to allow it to chamber?
Most of them chamber fine, it's after firing is when the issues start, can't lift the bolt easily to the top to extract. And it's not a pressure issue. Something in the process isn't sized right

Lots of information out there on this issue on many forums. It is an issue with the new PRC "design" (6.5 & .300). I've only had experience with using the AW6.5PRC reamer and it will fix "most" of the tight chamber issues.
You can certainly PM me for my phone number and we can discuss. I'm certainly no expert, not even a gunsmith and I've only used the AW reamer on a couple of chambers. But it was a simple rework.
I'm not questioning what your saying, just asking questions out loud here I guess. Why does factory ammo work fine if the chambers are tight? Why does it get worse the more rounds fired on the brass?