Jim/Iowa

I want to do a 6.5 upper in a AR-15, would have to be a wss. My other choice is a 6.5 in a Ar-10. I want to use this as a hog hunting, and other close game hunting. Some long range target would be nice. I have a Bushy Preditor, so maybe the 450 upper would be the way to go.
Jim

I'm a little ignorant when it comes to the AR platform, but do you mean a 6.5 mm cal? like a 260 rem? - because you can get a 260 AR 15 upper. Just a little snoopy ;)

I hope you ment a 260 in an AR-10, I wouldn't work in a AR15. To get any decent velocity on a 6.5 bullet you would have to use an AR-10. It's possible to go 6.5 WSSM or a WSM but with the WSM you would have to seat the bullets very deep. I think the 260 would be a great round and is factory available.

Sorry for my ignorance, I was looking on the DPMS panther arms site and they don't specify which system they are baseing their rifles off of. I thought you could interchange almost any of the uppers w/ their lowers. They call theirs the Panther™ LR-260 or other variants. Don't mean to give bad advice - that's why I admitted to being ignorant on the subject from the start. ;)

ALso, you can get the 6.5 creedmore in a DPMS

Last edited:
The 260 running the 130gr Accubond out at 2600fps would cleanly kills hogs out to 400yds and that speed would not be hard to get out of the Ar-10 with an 18" barrel. When the time comes to punch paper then load up some 130-140gr Berger VLD's and you'll be good out past 1000yds.

Now all that said the regular 308 is no slouch and every AR-10 that I've seen ran great with it. (When AR's first came about the father of the AR Eugene Stoner origionaly desgined them as what we now know as the AR-10 due to the 308 being the standard NATO round it was later scaled down to the AR-15 we know today) And the 308 will cleanly kill pigs out to 400+yds depending on the bullets used.

If this gun is to be used as a stalking weapon that I'd suggest going with a 18" barrel , you will get all the speed you need and it will carry alot easier. I do recomend that no matter what you get invest in an adjustable gas tube system , it will help ALOT if you reload and allow out to run the pressures little higher and not beat the upper to death.

Also , I might add that in most states it is legal to own and use a short barreled rifle so their is another option if you want a shorter more compact weapon , it just takes a few extra hoops to jump through and a $200 tax then your good to go.

I've got two very close friends that will be home from Iraq in a couple weeks and they both bought H&K 417 "assulter" rifles ,thats a 12" barreled 308 AR , granted they are full auto and only used to hunt people it will be fun to shoot and see what kind of velocity loss their is.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.