6.5 x 47 rechamber question

Cruizin

I was shipped the wrong barrel and considering keeping it but if I do I will want to rechamber it to something with less recoil. The barrel shipped was 6.5x47 and 8.5 twist. I ordered a 6.5x284 8 twist. I was thinking of rechambering this barrel to 6.5 Grendel. Is this possible? Would it be as simple as removing some material from the chamber end of the barrel and extending the barrel threads?

Let me see if I am reading this right? You ordered a 6.5x284, you got a 6.5x47 instead, and your wanting to rechamber it to something with less recoil?

My 6.5x47 has less recoil than a 6.5x284. The 6.5x47 with 123 SMKs at 3k fps are deadly accurate and the recoil is minimal. Shooting the 6.5x284 with 142s at 2850 had substantial recoil compared to the smaller lapua case. If your wanting to see hits at closer ranges your going to need a brake regardless.

Well they are shipping me the correct barrel (6.5x284 8 twist) which is going to have a brake on it. I was wanting to turn this other barrel into something that can be shot without a brake from a handgun. Both of these barrels are for a long range handgun using a rifle scope so recoil is not good since your face is so close to the scope.

Is this an Encore bbl?
I guess it would depend on the dimentions of the 6.5x47 vs. the 6.5 Grendel. Isn't the Grendel a shorter round? (I don't have the measurements here to tell) If so, the answer is no, but could be under certain circumstances, meaning bbl taper (it would have to be a full bull bbl), and someone who could reset the lug and reinstall the extractor. that's still assuming it's an Encore bbl.

I'd send it back (make them eat it, their mistake), and re order a new one in a 6.5 Grendel and have it in a heavy bull taper about 14-16" That's plenty of weight to shoot a scoped Encore accurately without too much recoil.

I had a Encore (I wish I hadn't traded it) in a .260 Remington with 14" heavy bull bbl without a brake that I could shoot steel chickens quite accurately out to 300yds. Lots of fun, I won a few bets with that hand cannon.

Dan

Ok, I found your other posts on the handgun hunting thread and realized you were talking about a xp-100.

I guess that it would depend on the countour of the bbl and how far back the bbl would have to be set back to clean up the chamber, would it leave enough material in the shoulder to handle the pressure.

I think I'd leave it as is, the 6.5x47 Lapua is one Helluva cartridge.

Dan

Your 6.5X47 is basically an Improved 22-250 w/ small primer pockets and 30deg. shoulder, the 6.5 Grendel uses the 6PPC case( .445 vs. .473 diameter case head). As a long term silhouette shooter I don't feel either of these have too much recoil and shouldn't require a brake. Center grip XP's roll the recoil and even the rear grips aren't bad either. I think IMHO the 6.5X47 would be the optimal XP round, and that is the one I would keep.
Randy

Thanks guys for your feedback. This is for a savage action and it will be in a rear grip stock. I think I am going to take your advice and keep it as is 6.5x47 not put a brake on it and see if I can handle it.

Thanks again.

I've made a half-dozen or so 6.5 Grendels so far on worn out 6.5-284 high-power barrels. Cut 5 inches off the chamber end and there's still plenty of meat for a good 24" barrel. I made most of them into AR barrels and they were all great shooter.

I really like the Grendel, but I don't know if I'd choose it over the 6.5X47 in a bolt action. The grendel has its place in the gas guns as it offers better energy figures with a decent trajectory, and in my case I built one on a 527 Carbine for my daughter's first deer rifle (she's 3 right now!) but I think that 6.5X47 would be a great one on the handgun frame.

Matt

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.