6.5 wsm ?

splattermatic

i tried a search, but too short. so i'll ask here.

i have a remmy .243 hb, that has been a long time friend. (22 years)
but i am thinking of doing a 6.5 wsm on it.

where, oh, where, can i find info on this ?
i would like to launch 140 gr. bullets, but what should i expect from this wsm variant ?
.264 mag velocities ?
am i barking up the wrong tree, and just stick to a .260 so no mods have to be made to my remmy sa ??
i really do like the .260, but out here in the wild west, bigger is always better to some extent.

any info would be greatly appreciated.

I'm shooting a 6.5 WSM this year, and I love it. I shoot the 140 amax. I have shot numerous whitails, hogs, and Javalinas. It kills like a lightning bolt. Expect 3200-3250 fps. I'm getting 3270 out of a 26" barrel but will probably drop the charge a little. Pressure signs:rolleyes: H1000 or Retumbo works good in it.

Trace

6.5wsm

1. Bolt head has to be machined and a different extraction system installed. I am not even sure it will work without altering the magazine well.
2. If you do not mind a single shot you could rechamber to 6.5X06 or various chambers off this.
3. Savage allows one to change the bolt head as I have done this in my Strikers. Had to cut the threads out of the action and re-thread to a larger barrel shank as well. Works great and is simply.

4. If it were me I would re-chamber to the 6.5 X 284. You will get at least a couple hundred feet per second velocity and cases and dies are readily available.

My 6.5 WSM produces velocities similar to gunner45. I am shooting the 140 gr Sierra spitzer boat tail game king out of a 26" 9 twist Lilja barrel. 65.5 gr of H1000 in necked Norma 270 WSM brass gives me 3215 fps. Virtually the short action equivalent of the 264 WM. The 6.5-284 sounds like an excellent idea as well. Brass is available from (I believe) Norma and I would think a new barrel and only minor feed rail mods would be necessary.

Best of luck!
Sam

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.