6.5 wsm

I made a 6.5x300 Weatherby for a buddy. It was fast and crazy accurate. He ended up selling it due to cost of components but he has a dozen other rifles he was focused on. I don't know much about 6.5 PRC other than what little I've read.

More recently I have been shooting a 6.5-284 and 6.5-06 Ackley Improved. I was totally disappointed in the field performance of the deeply rebated rim of the 6.5-284 and how it fed into a Model 70 with the long spring Mauser extractor. The other issue I had was I had to deep seat the bullets with the longer than WSM, 284 case. I like the long neck of the 6.5-06 AI, which allows half neck sizing, so the bullet is centered in the case. It has almost identical volume as the 6.5 WSM. It is a good choice in a long action. I have learned that .25-06 brass is a better choice for brass than the .270 Win.

I have worn out two of my 6.5 WSM barrels and I am "saving" my best for hunting. I think the short WSM case, in the 3.15 Model 70 WSM action is more accurate that the '06 based wildcat. I am happy with the seating depth of the WSM action. Last Fall, my shooting friend picked up a $5200 rifle from "R-Bros". Travis said that he and his brothers had lightweight 6.5 WSM rifles built on custom Remington clones. With Reloader 26, they were getting 3300 fps, with 24 inch barrels, shooting 140 Bergers. I don't push my Nosler brass and Bartlein barrels that hard, but I agree you can't be carrying a better deer rifle than a 6.5 WSM.

No naked bullets. I shoot only coated bullets. All barrels are nitrocarburized. After 800 rounds you can see a half inch of throat erosion that looks like the back of a crocodile. The barrel may still shoot at 100 or two but not at the 550yd at the end of my club range.

I have chambered and shot several 6.5-300 Weatherbys as a wildcat. Until recently, powders were not available to make use of the extra case volume. Sure Hodgdon 50, 5010 and 870 were around but these are very temperature sensitive (could be the priming) and not very accurate. The Norma 217 (Weatherby used in the 30-378), Reloader 33 and VV N-570 are much better. I doubt you could get more than 300 rounds on the paper with the 6.5 Weatherby or 6.5 Nosler. Minimal load development then put it in the safe until hunting season.

The Hornady 6.5 PRC may be a great hunting choice. It may be at its best with the 130 gr Accubond or VLD bullets rather than 140s. With a 24 inch barrel, a very confident deer round.

My first 6.5 wsm built four months ago is throated long.( a lot longer than I wanted!!!!) Loves H1000 and 140 eldm at about 3180 fps from 26" pipe.
My second 6.5wsm built last month is liking RL26 a little but is so dirty it fouls out very quickly, the node it likes is AGAIN about 3180 with 147 eldm or 140 RDF. RL25 is showing better case fill ( thus less fouling) less pressure and slightly better accuracy.
Both are 26". The SS barrel is from Pacnor the newest one is CM from Mcgowen.
Interestingly different makes, different steel, different throating both like 3180 fps as an accuracy node.

My first 6.5 wsm built four months ago is throated long.( a lot longer than I wanted!!!!) Loves H1000 and 140 eldm at about 3180 fps from 26" pipe.
My second 6.5wsm built last month is liking RL26 a little but is so dirty it fouls out very quickly, the node it likes is AGAIN about 3180 with 147 eldm or 140 RDF. RL25 is showing better case fill ( thus less fouling) less pressure and slightly better accuracy.
Both are 26". The SS barrel is from Pacnor the newest one is CM from Mcgowen.
Interestingly different makes, different steel, different throating both like 3180 fps as an accuracy node.
Just out of curiosity, how do you like the 140 rdf? I've wanted to try the 130 rdf but I've heard they get strange flyers with the rdf line

Just out of curiosity, how do you like the 140 rdf? I've wanted to try the 130 rdf but I've heard they get strange flyers with the rdf line
Well, I've only shot the 6.5 140gr out of this barrel twice with two different powders, only four shot groups but I have three 5shot groups loaded to three different seating depths to shoot next time. So far they like .015" jump. My LR260 likes them a lot also ( for a gas gun ).
I drilled the meplat to .8mm last nite and the hollow point goes as far as the 140 Hybrids do. So if this barrel indicates consistent accuracy with these I'll end up hunting with them with the drilled out meplat.

20190225_142728.jpg
20190225_142840.jpg

Also I have 500 over run from Nosler pro shop. I measured the bearing surface on about 100 last nite and the ES was .004". So I stopped sorting.

I bought the Sinclair tool for measuring the ogive to base length of bullets for one of my 6.5 WSM friends (Same reamer, Bartlein gain twist barrel and riflesmith). He lives in Alaska and shoots 5 deer a year plus drawn ticket sheep and goats with the 130 Accubonds. He can cut his groups in half or better by sorting the Accubonds.

Yep. I sorted some 200gr Accubonds (seconds). About .012"es. 90% was .008".
Ended up sorting all 550.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.