6.5 WSM Loading Data

Terry Scott

I'm going to be warming up a 6.5WSM and loading 140 gr Bergers, and 160 gr matrix
Has anyone had any luck with these bullets with the WSM?
As it is probably going to be a little bit of a barrel burner, I could sure use a good staring point.
Appreciate your help.

Its worth doing a search on here, there was a thread recently from forum member parshal "6.5wsm"

Theres some great info in there on projectiles and powders from forum member "65WSM"

I have messed with 6 or more of them and all of them love H1000. Most run around 65gr but a couple saw max pressure at 63gr so start low and work up. Several of them see no difference between the A-max or Berger like both.

I'm using 60.5 grs H4831 SC and 140 gr Berger 140 vld hunting bullets in a 26" benchmark barrel. Approx. 3180 ft/ sec. So far six deer shot out to 202 yds.Four of 7 dropped in their tracks. 60 to 70 feet the longest one has ran.

I have a 6.5WSM, used to shoot 130Accubonds over compressed loads of H1000. I had several deer and hogs run off after being shot with high speed 130s. The 130s would never quite make it all the way through a deer, most of them stopped right under the skin on the far side.

Somewhere in there I had pressure problems with the H1000 loads. Turned out to be headspace issues. Brass got hard and wouldn't chamber after being resized. Adjusted dies to fix the headspace. Then the next batch sized came out too short. I found that WSM cases are quite thick and need to be annealed often. Annealing solved the headspace issues.

I have now switched to 140 Accubonds and found they are an absolute hammer at high speeds. Nothing has run off after being shot with them. They will punch a golf ball sized hole straight through a deer.

Presently shooting 140 Accubonds over 65 grains Ramshot Magnum with great success.

The 140 Berger Hunting VLDs work great in the 260AI, drop deer in their tracks. I have not tried them in the 6.5WSM though.

Hi Doug, Thanks for the info on the accubonds. I've not tried them on the 6.5 wsm but I am going to try the long range accubonds. I have not had great accuracy with regular accubonds in many calibers I have loaded. They are a good bullet I just haven't had great accuracy. I have had complete penetration on all the whitetails shot so far with the 140 bergers. I have loaded some 156 norma vulkans to try on some deer. I will let you know how they do.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.