6.5 Wildcating Questions

P-Steve-E

I have a .260 Rem -Rem SA
I know that I would be better off with a longer action but----if I rechambered to 6.5/284 Norma Would I reap any benifits in velocity? I think I have a 2.8 max Box but it can be made to 3.1 I've heard
Even though I may give up some powder with longer bullets. Wouldn't I still gain a couple 100 fps
The barrel has got 200 -250 rounds thru it and it groups good.
I just want a little more uuumph

Easiest way to do it is set your barrel back and punch the chamber to 260 Ackley Improved. I have been getting 6.5-284 velocities with this cartridge. Definietly the way to go in a SA.

well if you are prepared to single load each round you can do as you please, a friend of mine has a 300 win mag on a short action. If i wanted maximum length in a short action i would probably go for an AICS stock and mill the reciever out so the max length rounds would feed. personaly i would learn to be happy with the 260 or do as the other gent said, go for the AI version of the chamber.
Pete

Getting around 2900 with the 140 or 142 MK, I don't remember which it was. The 139 Scenar is another good one. Loaded to fit in the factory mag.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts