6.5 tcu

Ckgworks

I happened into a set of 6.5 TCU dies at a price I couldn't pass up, perfect timing as I'm getting in to pistol hunting with a contender. My daughter would like to try hunting with the Contender this year and I was looking at suitable deer/coyote calibers.....Does anyone here have any experience good or bad with the 6.5 TCU they would share with me? Any info would be appreciated! Hunting bullets in this caliber? I see Hammer makes a 85 grain HH that may be a good combination but I haven't PM'd Steve yet.

I'm hedging toward 10" being too short and am thinking 12" or 14" would be ideal, but if theres any info on 10" I'd love to know as it'd make a better carry length. I know I should also create a WTB add as well but if you have a Contender barrel you'd like to move, Please let me know!

The 85 Hammers may be fast enough for the distances you are considering. A 10" won't give you much speed.
What max distance are you thinking for deer?
Probably at 80-123 grain cup/core bullet would be best for deer.
I would go for the 12" or 14" myself

Last edited:
I'm thinking mostly under 100, but if able out to 200. The areas we hunt Blacktail don't allow for much more than that. I was surprised how much speed it appears you lose when barrels get that short.

I have had a 6.5TCU rifle for a number of years. M700SA 24 inch barrel 123SSTs at 2550fps
Pretty handy and brass is cheap. Its just currently projectiles are difficult to find

I happened into a set of 6.5 TCU dies at a price I couldn't pass up, perfect timing as I'm getting in to pistol hunting with a contender. My daughter would like to try hunting with the Contender this year and I was looking at suitable deer/coyote calibers.....Does anyone here have any experience good or bad with the 6.5 TCU they would share with me? Any info would be appreciated! Hunting bullets in this caliber? I see Hammer makes a 85 grain HH that may be a good combination but I haven't PM'd Steve yet.

I'm hedging toward 10" being too short and am thinking 12" or 14" would be ideal, but if theres any info on 10" I'd love to know as it'd make a better carry length. I know I should also create a WTB add as well but if you have a Contender barrel you'd like to move, Please let me know!

Sorry about my earlier post. I had the 6mm TCU on my brain for some reason😶
Any of your 120 grain soft points or the 123 A-Max/ELD-M should work

I have a friend, and I have read that the Contender barrels in 6.5 TCU were mediocre for accuracy. Most thought the twist was wrong. The 7TCU is very popular by comparison. I still shoot on the Silhouette ranges and you never see one. IMHO i would order a custom barrel, and tell them what you want to shoot, range, etc. A used barrel isn't much cheaper than a new one these days either.

Bullberry has new ownership
I thought I had heard that, or his son took over, or something like that. I've only ever ordered two barrels, one from Bullberry, and two years ago, a MGM in 6.5 Grendel for my Encore, which is down to 1" to a 1.5" ctc at 200 yards. I had heard people bad mouth MGM as well, but I have no complaints at all.