6.5 tcu

I had read that article and checked Bullberrys prices......they are actually cheaper than the TC Factory barrels I've seen for sale. The only problem going custom is when you see their chamber options 6.5 TCU probably isn't the way to go! 😂 I plan to call Bullberry and see what their turn around time is, custom does seem the way to go.

I may have to put these dies in the very back of the cabinet before they cost me more money..........any new chamberings coming into my house have to start with components first and I was liking .264 as I have a stash of light bullets whereas I haven't found light 7mm bullets in stock for quite sometime. I have found a lot of 7mm Tcu barrels which seem to be unwanted based on lack of bids or final selling price, but even there the cost difference to Bullberry is probably worth knowing what you have and getting what you want.

Bullberry is a great choice for a custom barrel - Just saying :cool:
I've had barrels made by Bullberry. Very good. His nieghbor MGM are just as good. I'll leave it at that . I have a 6.5 PRC 27 in. One inch Full bull with integral muzzle brake from MGM that is great. I sent it back to get it spiral fluted cause it was so heavy. My fault. Shaved 6 oz.
I'm getting ready to try my first post here selling some TC Encore barrels. 6.5 Creed, 28 in. hunter . 243 , 28 in. Hunter. 308 26 in. Hunter and a 460 S&W 20 or 21 in.. I don't remember. Never shot it. All very low rounds thru. Max 120 to 180 depending. Years ago I almost bought a 30 TCU barrel. They multiply in your gun safe. Be careful...

Last edited:
I have an old .25 Bullberry barrel with integral brake. It's a 30-30 necked down to .25 cal..Not an Encore. I haven't shot it much in the last 25 years but with Speer 100 gr. SBT I can get 5 shot 3/8 groups at 100 yds. Easily . It recoils like a 22 hornet . It's 21 in. Only Bullberry Barrel I have. Fred did good job back then . 👍🏻

Last edited:
I bet they're like ar's.....I started with one lower and multiple uppers. Soon all have their own lower, I mean someone else can shoot them while you are right?😆
I think something 25 cal on a contender would be neat as well. I'm tempted by the encore, but seeing Ernie's xp-100's makes me want to go that route to get larger calibers.

I bet they're like ar's.....I started with one lower and multiple uppers. Soon all have their own lower, I mean someone else can shoot them while you are right?😆
I think something 25 cal on a contender would be neat as well. I'm tempted by the encore, but seeing Ernie's xp-100's makes me want to go that route to get larger calibers.
A 25 cal AR is very interesting.
Should of said would be 🙄

Last edited:
welcom too the world of hand gun hunting! You mentioned you are wanting to use the 6.5 tcu! I have been using the contender pistols for many years ! The 6.5 being one of my favorite of all there is to shoot! I have a super 15 " barrel and I'm using Reloader7 @ 23.6gr and Hornaday 100 gr spritzers ! It is super accurate! It came standard 1-10 twist with velocity in 2200 range you won't regret your decision if this is where your headed : don't let the nay sayers influence your decision as there is getting to be more and more on this site !! Good luck and happy hunting

welcom too the world of hand gun hunting! You mentioned you are wanting to use the 6.5 tcu! I have been using the contender pistols for many years ! The 6.5 being one of my favorite of all there is to shoot! I have a super 15 " barrel and I'm using Reloader7 @ 23.6gr and Hornaday 100 gr spritzers ! It is super accurate! It came standard 1-10 twist with velocity in 2200 range you won't regret your decision if this is where your headed : don't let the nay sayers influence your decision as there is getting to be more and more on this site !! Good luck and happy hunting
For my old contender I have a super 14 in. 35 Rem. It likes Hornady 180 gr. Spritzers. I don't remember the powder. Maybe 4064. It's a shooter. Have a 10 in. bull I'm 44 mag. I used to have a bunch of pistol barrels when I was a kid. 30-30, 45 LC, .22, etc.. About a year ago I bought a 21 in. 30-30 barrel for the old TC. I sighted scope in a made some different loads for it but haven't worked on it. Hoping some 125 gr. Nosler B Tips and Sierra's work.
Ckgworks,
You can get a lot of different rifle rounds for Encore's. Some in pistol barrels .

Both are good, it just depends on what you want...
The custom XP's cost more for sure, but you have no cartridge limitations like you do in the Contender or Encore platforms. You will also have a faster lock-time, free-floated barrels, better barrel options and contours.
The Contender is much lighter, while the Encore is closer in weight to a XP.
It comes down to preferences, budget, and uses.
I started with the Contender. It was lacking in horsepower for what I wanted in terms of hunting big game, plus it greatly limited my distance for hunting that game.
With custom barrels and good factory (factory can be a hit or miss in terms of great accuracy) ones, the TC platform is accurate enough for hunting with those cartridges it can handle, but I just wanted more.
There is no right or wrong here.

I didn't own any TC products for quite a few years.
About 3 years, I picked up a G-2 frame.
Pistol barrels: 15" MGM 8T 224 Valk (muzzle brake), SSK 14" 30-30AI (muzzle brake), 14" factory 7X30 Waters, and a 10" factory 22lr.
They rarely get used, as the XP's and XP type specialty pistols rule the day.

Last edited:
Both are good, it just depends on what you want...
The custom XP's cost more for sure, but you have no cartridge limitations like you do in the Contender or Encore platforms. You will also have a faster lock-time, free-floated barrels, better barrel options and contours.
The Contender is much lighter, while the Encore is closer in weight to a XP.
It comes down to preferences, budget, and uses.
I started with the Contender. It was lacking in horsepower for what I wanted in terms of hunting big game, plus it greatly limited my distance for hunting that game.
With custom barrels and good factory (factory can be a hit or miss in terms of great accuracy) ones, the TC platform is accurate enough for hunting with those cartridges it can handle, but I just wanted more.
There is

I didn't own any TC products for quite a few years.
In the last 3 years, I have picked up a G-2 frame.
Pistol barrels: MGM 8T 224 Valk (muzzle brake), SSK 14" 30-30AI (muzzle brake), 14" factory 7X30 Waters, and a 10" factory 22lr.
If I remember correctly the 7x30 Waters is a 30-30 necked to 7mm. I almost bought one for my G2 many years ago.

Ckgworks,
With the TC Encore you can get rifle barrels up to 7 Rem Mag and 300 Win Mag.up to 26 in. with the Hunter barrels. They are medium heavy and fluted. Just FYI incase you didn't know yet.

If I remember correctly the 7x30 Waters is a 30-30 necked to 7mm. I almost bought one for my G2 many years ago.

Ckgworks,
With the TC Encore you can get rifle barrels up to 7 Rem Mag and 300 Win Mag.up to 26 in. with the Hunter barrels. They are medium heavy and fluted. Just FYI incase you didn't know yet.

The 7x30 Waters is a 30-30 case, that has been necked down and improved.
Personally, I am not a fan of the Magnum bolt faces in the Encore, IF you are a reloader who is trying to run loads equal to what a bolt action can run

Well, I found both a 30 herrett and a 7mm TCU barrel with dies and brass for a bargain so I'm going to play with both of those for a bit before proceeding with other barrels. Both are 14" so hopefully they will give me a feel for what I want in the future......Thanks for the info so far!

CKg, for your daughter, not knowing her age and size, I would opt for a Contender Carbine, much easier for a youngster to handle vs a pistol. I started my nephews out with 30/30 Carbines with reduced recoil Rem loads. Both boys killed multiple deer the first year.

I cut the length of pull on the plastic TC stock to fit them at their age, had the wood back up stock as they grew.

Last edited:

Recent Posts