6.5 jdj

Skimbleshanks

Found a TC contender at a shop today in 6.5 JDJ. Stainless frame, barrel, base and rings. 3 rings at that. Simmons 2-7x 30something scope. 70 something loaded rounds 30 something fire formed empty cases. holster, a reloading manual (not sure which one wasn't really interested at the moment) 3 boxes of various projectiles, dies. $650. It looked clean and well taken care of. Rifling was clean and bright and the crown was free of imperfections. Chamber looked smooth and free of obvious machining flaws. The guy at the shop said the owner of it got it for an Antelope tag that was never drawn and needs cash now. Not really anything Ive had any experience with before and want to know if the price is reasonable.

seems reasonable to me. check SSK website for pricing on new bbl and T'SOB scope base. that should be the bulk of the asking price. frames are $300. all of the other stuff adds up. SSK uses shilen barrels. 6.5 JDJs are geared to shoot 120s. in the condition you described, may be smokin' deal

If this is an SSK barrel then in my opinion, it is a good deal. The 6.5 JDJ is a great hunting round in a Contender. The cartridge is mild mannered and all the ones I have shot are very accurate. Best of luck--Mark Hampton

I was going to buy a 6.5JDJ BBL. a few years back but not wanting to use up my small supply of .225 Winchester brass I chose not to.
Sure wish Winchester would make it again!

Last edited:
The pistol and fixtures are well worth the price. I would suggest that you not shoot the ammo until you pull some of it down and check the powder charge if the load data is given with the ammo. If you have no idea of what the powder is I would pull down all the ammo and start over for safety sake. God only gave you too hands and life with out one is no fun says a fellow I know that blew his hand off with a muzzle loader.

Holy necro post. I bought the pistol back in 2011. I sold it last year. Took it hunting a few times but never shot anything with it. Seemed to be a good amount of power though managable. Not too sad to see it go.

There is an alternative to using the .225 Winchester casing.
It is called the 6.5 JDJ #2, apparently it uses .307 Winchester brass.
If this is a viable alternative I may order a reamer and brass in the near future.

I have been shooting the 6.5JDJ for years. Started with the 6.5TCU rechambered to the 6.5JDJ. Then got one of JDJ's blued barrels. Sold it a few years later after finding a 6.5JDJ SSK Krome with vent rib. All of these are Contender barrels. I have taken deer, antelope, pigs, armadillos, porcupines and other varmints. Never had one walk off from a hit with either the 120grn Sierra Pro Hunter bullets or the Nosler BT's.
There is another option. Quality Cartridge Company on the internet sells correct head stamped brass for the 6.5 JDJ. It is a little pricey but I got 60 pcs for around 130.00 and it will last years and many loadings.
They also make a lot of other JDJ Brass and other hard to get or non existent brass now.
I have some of their 309JDJ, 257JDJ and 375JDJ. I just buy a bag or two when they have it and after a year or so I have plenty.
Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts