6.5 SAUM build

Well I finally got to lay my hands on this gun and do some shooting. It shoots pretty good for as light as it is. Shot the 140 jlk's at 3150 very well. It also shot the 160 Matrix at 3000 good too. With a little playing w seating depth, I should be able to dial it in a little better. Pretty impressed so far.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 88
Glad you posted range report. I agree with the seating depth...it will tighten up for sure....I really like the idea of the 160's...vs the 140's but that's jus me.
What is your seating depth right now?

I'll take it! This IS a for sale thread right?! :D

All kidding aside, great looking stick. Gotta give props to the lefties as well, there aren't many of us.

t

Glad you posted range report. I agree with the seating depth...it will tighten up for sure....I really like the idea of the 160's...vs the 140's but that's jus me.
What is your seating depth right now?

When I got a more accurate measurement the 160's were shooting about .107" off lands, I will test lengthening them out another .010" and another group .020" longer.

I haven't played with the 140's at all, they shot good from the get go but there is probably some tweaking to be done!

With the speed of the 140's vs the 160's that I have seen so far, the 160's don't have any advantage except about 60ft lbs more energy at 1000 yards. The 140's will shoot about 1.5 MOA flatter as well. Unless I can find a powder that will increase velocity of the 160's I will probably stick with 140's. Velocity should come up on both bullets within the next 20 rounds as the gun only has about 65 rounds downrange. In my experience with most bbls you see a velocity jump somewhere between 80-100 rounds.

I'll take it! This IS a for sale thread right?! :D

All kidding aside, great looking stick. Gotta give props to the lefties as well, there aren't many of us.

t

Well....... I do have a spare Stiller Predator LA as well as a Pierce SA and and two extra 6.5 bbl (one 8.5T and one 8.25T both brux) laying around. If you were interested I could probably sell a barreled action in a 6.5 SAUM!! ( I am really wanting to do a titanium now) I think so far it's proven to be a shooter. I have yet to shoot a 140 group that is bigger than 5/8" in an 8.25lb rifle.

Well....... I do have a spare Stiller Predator LA as well as a Pierce SA and and two extra 6.5 bbl (one 8.5T and one 8.25T both brux) laying around. If you were interested I could probably sell a barreled action in a 6.5 SAUM!! ( I am really wanting to do a titanium now) I think so far it's proven to be a shooter. I have yet to shoot a 140 group that is bigger than 5/8" in an 8.25lb rifle.

I was just shooting my 6.5WSM yesterday :rolleyes: I may be a little more than interested in that Pierce... i've been lusting over a 6.5x47... :cool:

t

I was just shooting my 6.5WSM yesterday :rolleyes: I may be a little more than interested in that Pierce... i've been lusting over a 6.5x47... :cool:

t

It just so happens that I have a pierce chambered in a 6.5x47 w less than 10 down the tube. Here's how she shot the one time I shot it. I robbed the stock off it for my SAUM though.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 91
It just so happens that I have a pierce chambered in a 6.5x47 w less than 10 down the tube. Here's how she shot the one time I shot it. I robbed the stock off it for my SAUM though.

That's some **** fine chooting right there. If you decide to part with it, shoot me a PM.

t

Updated pic with stock I ordered for it. Just showed up yesterday. Just need to bed and get out and do some more shooting.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 96
] i've been lusting over a 6.5x47... :cool:

t
me too, i am considering rebarreling my 6.5x284 to the 6.5x47 lapua once the barrel is out, still got about 600 rounds left in her though, plenty enough to shoot some dog towns and a few coyotes for another year or two. I might just go 6.5x284 again and have it nitrated, lots of options but i know i want to run the 160 matrix. I might try to stick one into a coyote in the next month if i have time. BTW t, i am really curious as to what you find with them in your 6.5 wsm.

me too, i am considering rebarreling my 6.5x284 to the 6.5x47 lapua once the barrel is out, still got about 600 rounds left in her though, plenty enough to shoot some dog towns and a few coyotes for another year or two. I might just go 6.5x284 again and have it nitrated, lots of options but i know i want to run the 160 matrix. I might try to stick one into a coyote in the next month if i have time. BTW t, i am really curious as to what you find with them in your 6.5 wsm.

Thanks brother, stay tuned. BNG traded me some 160's, I sure hope they'll stabilize in my barrel :D I'm digging this bullet so far.

t

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.