6.5 rem mag barrel length and twist ????

kbuehner

Im needing some input on what the optimal barrel length and twist for a 6.5 Remington mag would be. Im ordering barrel in the morning. Will be shooting 130 &140gr Your help is greatly appreciated Thanks

For a .264" 140 grain cup and core bullet I would highly recommend a 1/8" twist barrel. As far as length is concerned, that is a matter of personal preference. I do know that the 264Winmag looses velocity quickly with tubes under 26" and I suppose that would be true for any 6.5mm since they are shooting the same bullets. I do know that Remington didn't use long barrels on their model 600 rifles in the 6.5RM and can only assume that this didn't optimize the cartridges capability, but did make for a quick and easy handling rifle. I have a 600 in 6mmRem and though it isn't my most accurate rifle it is a handy/fun little gun.

8 twist at least. If you think there is a possibility of shooting 140g class bullets in mono look at a 7 twist. You would still be able to run the cup and core bullets but would broaden your options.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.