6.5 PRC quickload?

coop2564

Can someone double check my chrono numbers? 26" barrel
Hornady case, cci 250, col 2.950, 143ELD-x, RE 26 55.6gr my chrono showed exact velocity of 3108fps 5 shots in row then 3100 for the six I had loaded. It never that consistent. Its a Caldwell. With this load I had .490 3 shots and then .497 moa at 100yds. Pretty sure I want to stay about this load and velocity just never seen my chrono show six shots that close in velocity. Normally I have at least 25 or worst spread. Gun is Browning max long range, Leopold freedom 6-18x40mm 30mm.

Attachments

• 6.5prc.jpg
    6.5prc.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 115
Sounds like you found a nice sweet spot. I don't know how far your chronograph is from your muzzle but mine is 35ft. If memory serves me correctly, I have to add roughly 25fps at 3100fps to account for that distance.

Double check distance from muzzle to chrono ... I recently had high velocities (across a Caldwell) due to it being too close ... a bare minimum of 10 feet is needed ... 20-30 is ideal, then back into your muzzle velocity with a ballistics calculator.

According to GRT using standard 6.5 PRC case water capacity, your bullet at 2.950" with 55.6g RL26 and a 143 eld-x should be around 2942 fps at the muzzle.

BTW - for the standard default water capacity, it shows max charge of 58.7g yielding approx 3116 fps ... so, if you happen to have cases that are a bit on the smaller internal volume end of the scale and are seeing pressure signs showing up at or just above your current charge, then 3100ish is not out of the question ...

Tim

I get that, but quickload gives a pretty accurate estimate. And could let me know if there might of been a problem with the chrono.

"showed exact velocity of 3108fps 5 shots in row". That's statistically impossible IMO. It's rare, even with the most meticulously loaded ammo using only the best components, to get multiple identical readings. 5 in a row; impossible.

"showed exact velocity of 3108fps 5 shots in row". That's statistically impossible IMO. It's rare, even with the most meticulously loaded ammo using only the best components, to get multiple identical readings. 5 in a row; impossible.
These types of chronos are junk, I have had 2 of them before I invested into a magneto now I have a lab radar waiting to get set up. Too cloudy too sunny they don't work, complete waste of time and money. Buy once cry once.

That's why I was hoping to get a quickload est. I don't trust that 5 in row either. According to Hornady site I should be around 3100 roughly. But this chrono while I do get some wildly spreads usually, it does get me in the avg. Just not buying 5 in a row.

Did they say "dupl"? ... You may have not gotten 5 but rather fewer than 5 ... perhaps even only 1 if you never got the "dupl" ... or, if you got the "dupl" but then didn't pick up the other 3, you may have had 2 the same then 3 mis-reads ...

Going out again Saturday see what it does again. They have one that can be rented also. Got some fresh batteries too.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.