6.5 PRC & 156 EOL (Work up thread)

What I seen is my POI changes most but the groups would most likely hold together. l'm going out next week probably and see where it is hitting without the magneto attached. I hope the accuracy is still there. It would suck if it just opens up. But I do see what you talking about. I'm about 1/2moa right now. I want to see if it will hold that with the magneto off and at distances. It's also getting hot around here and I think RL26 usually doesn't like temps much over 80, is what is see most talk about. Would be good to know how much loss and gain in speed there is per degree from something like 20 degrees to about 65 degrees. Last season during the heat of the day it was 65 degrees but I was also using another rifle.

What I seen is my POI changes most but the groups would most likely hold together. l'm going out next week probably and see where it is hitting without the magneto attached. I hope the accuracy is still there. It would suck if it just opens up. But I do see what you talking about. I'm about 1/2moa right now. I want to see if it will hold that with the magneto off and at distances. It's also getting hot around here and I think RL26 usually doesn't like temps much over 80, is what is see most talk about. Would be good to know how much loss and gain in speed there is per degree from something like 20 degrees to about 65 degrees. Last season during the heat of the day it was 65 degrees but I was also using another rifle.
I have had ZERO issues with a mag and accuracy. I have no issues with rl26 until hitting over 90 and using hot loads to begin with. Using a more reasonable load base I've shot matches in 90 plus and no issue

That's good to know about RL26. Since I backed off to 45 grains my last time out I hit the same velocitys twice now for 2 sets of 5 shots. So load wise I think I'm seeing some good consistent numbers but like I posted before I need to shoot once more for groups and distances and see if they are holding groups at distance. One of the large draws I want to hunt has a good creek in the bottom but is completely bare or open grass 3/4 or 1/2 the way up on both sides. Most of the cover is on the north east facing side putting me on the south west facing side watching for deer to come out in the late day. There is some cover on the south west facing side but it's not a lot. Enough to hide in and take shots with probably a long shot all the way out to 8 or 9 hundred yards. But something like that I would pick up and try and get closer moving up and down the ridge using the cover as much as I can or back down the other side and move up or down and then peek back over. The sun kind of sucks as well but it's just where I suspect to see deer coming from feeding out. Tall Timbers and thicker aspens down toward the edge of them. Another spot or another large draw has a knob that let's me be above all the cover and shoot over it to the clearing all the way down at another creek. Still long pokes but doable. If I had some more of the 140 mission ready loads by Berger I might just use that stuff. I had fun with the rifle last summer banging steel out to 1000y with that stuff. On a 16 inch plat I was shooting about .8 MOA or had about an 8 inch group at 1000y. Calm conditions no wind though. I generally shoot at sun up for best conditions out in the south desert plains from Boise. I'll be first to say I have never experienced a calm day out there. But you get about 2 hours in the morning at daylight with generally less than 5mph winds. About 7:30am or 8 it's blowing. Wind is not anyone's friend but when you see your app actually work with wind holds and makes some shots and see how far you could be off it's really fun when it works out.

That's good to know about RL26. Since I backed off to 45 grains my last time out I hit the same velocitys twice now for 2 sets of 5 shots. So load wise I think I'm seeing some good consistent numbers but like I posted before I need to shoot once more for groups and distances and see if they are holding groups at distance. One of the large draws I want to hunt has a good creek in the bottom but is completely bare or open grass 3/4 or 1/2 the way up on both sides. Most of the cover is on the north east facing side putting me on the south west facing side watching for deer to come out in the late day. There is some cover on the south west facing side but it's not a lot. Enough to hide in and take shots with probably a long shot all the way out to 8 or 9 hundred yards. But something like that I would pick up and try and get closer moving up and down the ridge using the cover as much as I can or back down the other side and move up or down and then peek back over. The sun kind of sucks as well but it's just where I suspect to see deer coming from feeding out. Tall Timbers and thicker aspens down toward the edge of them. Another spot or another large draw has a knob that let's me be above all the cover and shoot over it to the clearing all the way down at another creek. Still long pokes but doable. If I had some more of the 140 mission ready loads by Berger I might just use that stuff. I had fun with the rifle last summer banging steel out to 1000y with that stuff. On a 16 inch plat I was shooting about .8 MOA or had about an 8 inch group at 1000y. Calm conditions no wind though. I generally shoot at sun up for best conditions out in the south desert plains from Boise. I'll be first to say I have never experienced a calm day out there. But you get about 2 hours in the morning at daylight with generally less than 5mph winds. About 7:30am or 8 it's blowing. Wind is not anyone's friend but when you see your app actually work with wind holds and makes some shots and see how far you could be off it's really fun when it works out.
I have used RL26 in Creeds, 6.5-284, my PRC for many years. I hunt wolves all winter and shoot during the summer etc. I have zero issue with a reasonable load. Find a solid velocity node, stabile and accurate, and send it. I have a shooting school this weekend and the temps are in the low 90's, I will use the PRC for demo's and my 223 for training the crew. I have confidence in those rigs as I have been running them from 0-100 degrees for years. At any rate, that area you like to hunt sounds a up draft heaven. Perfect place to visit and shoot before the season or cover both sides in the time of day you generally see activity and study the wind effects. Good luck on your hunts. I drew elk, deer, and antelope this year so I'll be busy. Oh and look up wiser mounts for the magneeto to attach to your stock vs your barrel if you wish to go that route. I have one I modified and I like it. I still see poi shift but not nearly as much as barrel mount.

I've been been working up a load with the 156's this week using N 570 , BR2 primers , I reached pressure right at 3000 fps backed off to 2936 fps with excellent accuracy

Can you help me understand this a little better? I was thinking the performance was being robbed by the magazine restriction.
What ever is causing you to push the base of the bullet down past the shoulder/neck boundary will cause a drop in performance. Check out this article from Berger. It explains it better than I can. If your throat will allow to load longer you could try single loading to check the absolute performance difference between loads.